THIS IS KILLING ME! (drought/aerations!)

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by cessnasovereign, Sep 25, 2007.

1. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

This time last year I was doing 8-10 aerations a day at $180 a piece.
    Now, I'm lucky to get 5 a week! Here in Charlotte, NC, thanks to the drought you can not water your lawn at any time and in the other main county I service, you can only water it twice a week. So, no one is wanting to "waste their money" on aeration and seeding this year since they can't water it.
    What can I do?????????????

This is killing me!!! Any ideas please!?

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Well, I tried praying, rain dance, crying, begging, grovelling, paying etc the weather Gods--nothing so far and looks like nothing in the near future:cry:

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not going to repeat the lecture, but I'm in the same boat here...
    September is an easy 3g month, last year I think it was 4-5g, this year?
    So far I've deposited just over 2500 for the whole month, that includes today's deposit which is also the last one for the month, I've made more money than this in July - August before :laugh:

I mean there ain't but two choices here:
    1) Start looking for a job.
    2) Hang in there and see who falls out before you do.

Sooner or later things will improve, they have to, I just don't know when.
    Might be another month, maybe another year, but the longer one hangs tight the better the reward in the end when it finally does improve... It's getting to be about that point I've had enough, but at the same rate I want a clear map for next year, and if the map ain't clear by next year then let it stay dry until it is clear. That might sound hard core but I'm as tired of seeing an Lco on every corner as I'm tired of the drought, I'd just as soon wait it all out and keep on tightening things up a bit.

Because nothing beats the demand when there are hardly any Lco's left, things are tough all over, give or take, it ain't no greener on the other side of the fence, or maybe it is, I don't know.

This is, however, a good time to take the bull by the horns and start reviewing cost factors. Where is your company or your lifestyle costing too much, where can you make a cut in expenses, what can be tweaked for better economy, and how else can you make ends meet?

It's like playing the stock market, you got to hang through the dry spells so you can benefit when the stuff finally starts to rise again. Someday it will, hopefully soon, but I just don't know when. Until then just gotta hang tight, yup. :)

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Put it off until the ground freezes then you cant do anything anyway, keep them posted letting them know you can still dormant seed, which is the second best time to seed next to fall.

5. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Little off topic : I aerated/overseeded some lawns a week ago and had no rain since. Forecasting one day of rain for the next 2 weeks. How long will this ungerminated grass last? It will start growing when we finally get some rain, right?

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I always tell customers to water religiously 2 times a day for 30 minutes each area. If they don't do it, it's not my problem.

7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Join the club buddy.....No one has had it as bad as us country boys here in the south......Ala, Tenn, and Ga have had it the worse. But that good ole bermuda just keeps coming back after each and every little bit of rain we have had. I am actually loving all my lawn right now because they are all green, and just needing one more good rain to keep us going thru Fall. But I am really feeling your pain because every county I service in either has a total water ban, or can only water once a week. I seeded a few lawns about 2 weeks ago with Rye, and did get a good rain a few days after, actually 2 good days, but since then nothing. Most of my people have been cheating I will say, but I dont mind because its keeping me coming....LOL....We do have a 40% chance on Thursday, but nothing for sure. One thing for sure, weed controlling this winter is going to be easy.....

8. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

I washed my truck and it rained that night and all day the next day...
    maybe that will help??? :)

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

TJ, your customers are criminal's!!:mad: (Just kidding) I am installing sod today and did some cheating as you call it last night and will continue to cheat for 14 days.

10. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeap, it is pretty bad here in the Charlotte NC area! I have already signed up about 35 of my 60+ customers for aeration services. Was planning to do all of these next week.....

I had a few ask me if they should do it at all due to the drought and possible water ban - that did finally happen as of today -

I just told everyone that the aeration needed to be done one way or the other. That even with no rain afterwards, the seed would still germinate and grow once we do finally get some rain. But the ground around here is too hard to do a aeration at all right now, so I told everyone that if we don't get a significant amount of rain before next week, I will put off the aeration till later in October or early november. And in the event that we don't get much rain by then that I will just do it in Febuary.

So far everyone seems okay with this.

With the drought, I had been concerned with being able to get seed from Lesco. I figured this year they would be selling out of the stuff. But now that it is prime aeration time and no one is doing it, I bet they are overstocked with seed! Wonder how that will affect the prices of the seed now and later on....