This is killing me !!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blueangelfightr, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Blueangelfightr

Blueangelfightr LawnSite Member

My own personal house looks like crap :angry: . There is not really any bare spots in the front and is a ton in the back but I have crab grass, weeds, brown spots in like a pattern from I don't even know what. With that said should I go out and get some good weed killer and grass seed next year or, just tear it all up and put fresh seed. Thanks.

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

You should hire a proffesional and get it done right. I know there are a lot of guys from Jersey on this site.

3. Blueangelfightr

That would look funny. A professionals truck outside of someones house that is supposted to be atleast somewhat professional. You know I'm only 15

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

ask your parents what they want to do?

5. Blueangelfightr

I did. They don't care. I'm probally gonna kill the weeds place some top soil down and then seed it.

6. Soupy

I would treat weeds immediately, and over-seed in a couple of weeks. Maybe you could talk your mom into hiring a professional to at least treat the weeds, and maybe take a soil sample. Then after following the professional's suggestions, you could attempt the over-seeding yourself.

I seriously doubt that your neighbors look at you as a professional. Lets be honest here, Pretending to be a professional on lawnsite doesn't actually make you one. We can tell by your post, that you are just a kid mowing grass for cash.

I understand that you want to learn, but you need to get this done ASAP. You could take a soil sample (do a search on how to do this) and go visit a Lesco dealer, etc. They will give you what you need, but you won't save that much money. and time is an issue. Do you own a sprayer? a spreader?

I'm just giving you realistic ides here. If you really want to learn, try getting your parents to hire someone with the experience. Tell that person that you are eager to learn and ask them if you can help or at least watch how it is done. Take notes and follow what was done next year.

If your parents don't want to spend the money, then PM me. I will help you every step of the way. I will include my email after you PM me. But really, a trip to a knowledgeable person, like a Lesco staff. Is needed to get the job off on the right foot. They will be able to tell you exactly what fert and chems to apply. Oh, don't forget to take measurements with you. You need to know the size of the area before you start. It wouldn't hurt to take some pictures, and post them on this thread.

I hope you take my post as being sincere, I';m not trying to bash you in anyway. If you would have said that you had a weed free lawn without any possibility of disease. I would have said over-seed and good luck. But sometimes a professional is needed to get the job done right.

7. Dwan

Dwan LawnSite Member

I like the idea of having someone else do it..
    I like to go to my compitions house when I know they are away and plow there drivway and sand. Just wish I could see there face when they come home.

8. Blueangelfightr

I have to admit soupy when I read the first 2 lines of your post I was upset. But you seem sincere to me. FYI I plan to make this a career. And i don't plan to just cut grass. I want to be a all around guy. Designing, construction, Maybe trees, and also simple maitenance. I hope that you don't get the impression that I am getting defensive and that I am annoyed, because I am not. Hey we are all here to learn no matter what the age right? :)

9. Soupy

Then get that soil sample/measurments to your local supplier. Keep us up to date on how things are working out. Once you get the weeds knocked out and find out what caused the brown spots. The rest will be a piece of cake.

10. Blueangelfightr

Allright. Thanks for your suggestions guys. Also where do I bring my soil. (I can Tell that it is not good in the backyard). It is sort of like a hard clay. :dizzy: