This is my first lawn. It is in Georgetown Kentucky

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by skyler4321, Oct 17, 2006.

1. skyler4321

skyler4321 LawnSite Member

This is my first lawn. It is in Georgetown Kentucky and is Kentucky 31 Fescue and a small amount of annual Rye. I watered it for the first time on Sep 8 and then added 35 pounds of ScottÂ’s starter on 10000 square feet. The area of dark green by the road is sod that was planted 2 weeks ago. The areas of light green are still thin blades and are growing very slowly. The patches of dark green are coming in great. I described this to the seed vender and he gave me 19-19-19. I put 40 LBS on the 10000 square feet last night. 4000 square feet is sod on hills. I am including some pics.
    Do I need to do anything else at this point? What is the next step?
    Thanks for your tips!!!

Lawn 1
    Lawn 2
    Lawn 3
    Lawn 4

2. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good to me. KB is slow to germinate, but once established, fills in rather quickly.

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

We have had a lot of rain, if the temps stay warm make sure the turf don't dry up it will take 14 days for the fertilize to green up.

4. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

My question is why did you use KY31? Why not a tall fescue blend or a fine fescue?

5. skyler4321

the local seed vender said it was what I should use.

6. grasswhacker

I hope it works out for you, but they were wrong.
    Who exactly was the vendor? Southern States? TSC?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You might consider throwing down 4 bags of pelletized lime so the magnesium can release inactive ingredients in the fertilizer.

8. skyler4321

Just checked the receipt and it is Falcon Fescue. I have no clue why I thought it was 31. Please let me know what you think of this type.
    Any second opinions on the lime?

9. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

What??? Stick to the mowing there, Skippy.

10. grasswhacker

lol That sounds better! I would not do any lime until you do a soil test to see if it is too acidic first. Take a sample to the county extension to get it tested.