This is my story!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Buckeye Lawncare, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, My name is Brandon, I live and do business in Baltimore, Ohio.
    I started mowing with zero turns when I was 12 when my grandpa died leaving my grandma to mow five acres. When I was a sophmore in high school I went to work for a golf course, crapping thing was I was under 18 and I could only trim and push mow. I worked there until I graduated, when I started working for an independent lawn care guy. I worked for him until this year ( The way he ran his business I did not agree with, and he went on vacation last year I took care of his animals, and I did all the mowing by myself. When he got back he said he was only paying for Xhours because it was bullshit that it took that long to mow all the properties. It only took ten more hours than it took for both of us to mow them. He didn't pay me for the extra ten hours or for taking care of his animals every morning and night)
    So this year I started my own business. Last year I bought my 60" Lazer used off residential guy that only mowed his yard with, got a really good deal on it. This year I took out a loan and bought a truck, trailer, a 52" Exmark WB, and my handhelds. I have 16 accounts and I help out a friend of mine cut his accounts.
    Last May I won the Ohio FFA State Turf grass management award, in October I won the National FFA Award in Louisville, Ky. The FFA has over 450,000 members nationwide. I don't know if anyone is familiar with the FFA, but it is one of the best organization in this country.
    Currently, I am a sophmore at The Ohio State University (go BUCKS) majoring in Ag Business and Applied Economics with a minor in turf grass management.

Here are some pictures of my stuff! The one picture is of the 8 yds of mulch I had on my trailer.

The name of my business is Five Star Lawncare. It was going to be Buckeye Lawncare until I found out that it was already taken in my area.

Five Star 004 (5).jpg

Five Star 004 (6).jpg

Five Star 009 (3).jpg

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome to ls, and good for you!

3. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Welcome, you have an awesome setup. It is nice to see someone else on here that has participated in FFA cde's. I competed it Turf Managment this year. Im also going to nationals in Kentucky for Safe Tractor Driving this year.
    Joe

4. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

Good lookin setup man. It's good to see some more FFA alum's and members here. I wasnt real active in our chapter, did turf and landscape, meats, and ag managment contests, but our chapter wasn't real active as a whole neither:cry: I only got to go to national convention one time, football season overlapped big time and I couldn't go my junior or senior year, but it was a great experience the one time I did go. Good luck, it is encouraging to see us young guys goin at this and that others are doing well for themselves too.

5. Buckeye Lawncare

I got to go to convention my Junior and Senior years then skipped last year and went this year when I won the national award. My freshman and sophmore years football overlapped, then they moved our football season around so then I got to finish out football and still go to convention. The best of both worlds.

6. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

you are definetly going in the right route by getting an education to set you up for a very lucrative future.:)

7. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey I see you have a prostar trailer, How do you like them? How far away are you from Lima,Ohio?

8. Buckeye Lawncare

I really like the trailer. It has a lot of stuff on it that costs extra from other trailer places. It has brakes on both axles, split gate on the back, the wiriing is wrapped in a rubber coating, nice white rims with new tires, I could go on and on. Really a good trailer to get. The only downfall is it is not quite as wide as other trailers, but 3" narrower.

I'm about 3 hrs southeast of Lima. I am about 20 minutes southeast of Columbus, close to Lancaster and Pickerington Ohio

9. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

Nice stuff. Good luck this year and in collage.

10. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Brandon ...GO BUCKS !!! I am new as well and wondering if you are having a lot of luck gaining new clients ? What type of advertising are you using ?