This is National DOT Inspection Week

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jun 4, 2013.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

72 hr program. June 4 through June 6, 2013

So be on the look out to be stopped and inspected.

Have everything working.

No worn out steering parts.

No leaking air lines.

No worn brakes.

Make sure your trailer's break away batteries ARE CHARGED and WORK.

Make sure your trailer brakes WORK.

Make sure your not pulling a trailer with a truck / trailer combined rate over 26,000 pounds with a class c license!

if the truck is 10,000# GVW or more make sure you have a VALID DOT card. This includes pick up trucks.

http://fastertruck.com/pages/RoadCheck-Commercial-Vehicle-Inspection-Procedures.html

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Aka leave the trailer home haha. Glad my skid is already on the job. Thanks DVS. Those goons will always find something.

3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Lets hope they dont stop me, dont have 4 points of contact to tie down mowers, but I see others with none. I should be alright

4. DVS Hardscaper

yeah, we were gonna take the dump truck tomorrow.

I'm headed outside to unload the tools off the dump truck as we'll now be taking the little pick up truck tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure everything is ship shape, but we can make it happen without the dump truck, so why chance it.

5. DVS Hardscaper

or - those of you that need to move equipment - and have defective trailers - I would seriously do it TONIGHT. Or before 6:30 in the morning.

Your clients won't mind, right?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  6. DVS Hardscaper

and don't forget your CHARGED fire extinguishers.

THIS INCLUDES EVEN GUYS WITH 3/4 TON PICK UPS PULLING TRAILERS.

7. Njon16

Njon16 LawnSite Member

Just got pulled over for this the cop thought I needed my DOTS I'm pulling a E-Z dump hydro trailer with a little f-150. Turns out I am 11 lbs shy of needing them. So in return for not getting me for that he gave me a ticket for 1 missing pin on my gate hello $250 bucks. :confused:

8. BruinLawn

BruinLawn LawnSite Member

At what point does someone need dot numbers. I'm new to the business and have never thought about it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. laxnlawn

laxnlawn LawnSite Member

I will be getting a trailer to pull behind my ranger in a few
    Months so I can pull my ztr around rather than have to use my cousins. What do I have to do in order to use the trailer on roads? I am very uninformed on this. I plan on buying a single axle 5x10 haulmark.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DVS Hardscaper

if you meet 1 of the following conditions - you need DOT numbers.

i) if the vehicle is used in the commission of commerce, and if your truck GVW is factory rated for 10,000# or more

ii) if the vehicle is used in the commission of commerce and if you're pulling a trailer and the combined weight is 10,000# or more. (nearly all 3/4 ton trucks pulling trailers with mowers exceed 10,000#)

Many folks will say "the DOT laws vary state to state". This is not exactly true. First of all the FEDERAL DOT laws do NOT vary. They are the same in all 50 states. 2nd - the STATE DOT laws may vary, yes. However, most states simply adopt the Federal DOT laws.