This is National DOT Inspection Week

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jun 4, 2013.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Ranger? And a 5x10 trailer?

You'll be fine, they probably wont bother you, especially if you don't put any company logo or lettering on the truck.

2. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Dot had been running around here like crazy. So far i have only seen big rigs pulled over.

3. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

I drive a 10,000 lb. rated truck during the day. If I am driving home and not being paid is it still a commerce truck?

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Yes

And NO alcohol is to be in commercial trucks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

Ok thanks. How about a liquor delivery truck? It is a commercial vehicle.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

You don't need 4 point tiedowns unless the equipment is over 10K.

Not exactly, but there are different variations.

Throw in California which IS different.

LOL

PS I know, I'm in for the wrath of DVS, and I won't wouldn't argue hardscapes with him whatsoever, in fact, I'd like to learn from him; but in this case, some of his information is flat out wrong. At least for MI.

Check here for the links. http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=4785240&postcount=5

7. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

No.

Oh ya DVS. Depending on the exact rating of the truck and trailer but you can easily operate combinations over 26k in commerce on a class C or D or E.

What aboot trailer over 10k though?[​IMG]

When your talking about exceeding 10k for DOT numbers etc it's based off of CGVWR, GVWR or GVW. Whatever is highest.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

So glad they have better things to do than stop landscapers etc. DOT here goes after mainly dump trucks b
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I find this funny seeing how I work in an industry that is specifically exempt from hours of service and can haul a hazardous material around the clock.

10. Red Shed Landscaping

Red Shed Landscaping LawnSite Member

I just registered for DOT number and they said they will come by sometime in the next 18 months for a safety audit.
    Has anyone gone through it and how bad was it?

Also they say you have to have 2 hours of drug and alcohol training/awareness and have random drug testing. How have you accomplished that?

Their rules are so vague or have so many I can't understand all that I need to do.