This is National DOT Inspection Week

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jun 4, 2013.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

''Round my parts the DOT inspectors are all about targeting the small tricks. The operators are usually unknowingly in violation.

Posted via Mobile Device

2. DVS Hardscaper

Just giving a heads up to the national dot inspection week. For anyone that is interested.

What goes on in MI is furthest from my mind and concern as well as what goes on in Venice Italy.

Thursday is the last day of the operation. I'll try to remember to give the heads up again next year.

Posted via Mobile Device

3. DVS Hardscaper

Also - is there lettering on the truck? (Lawn mowing and pooper scooper services, free estimates) If you have lettering on the truck - then the DOT views it as commercial.

No lettering - then a different story.

But it goes further! A friend of mine had a small truck with a flat tire on the side of the highway. DOT pulls up and determines that the truck is being used commercially. So they cited him for no company name on the truck and no DOT registration/numbers.

I know another guy with a pick up and pulls a large dump trailer. No company name on anything. He's been blatantly blowing by the scales for years.

The purpose of The DOT is safety. The DOT isn't going to dilly dally around with determining that since its after 1800 hrs the truck suddenly is for private use.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you're not that naive. In reality, it has nothing to do with safety.

The purpose of DOT is revenue generation.

This is shown by the fact that one never sees a junk hauler loaded 12' high and the back bumper dragging on the pavement pulled over, because they don't have the funds to pay the ticket.

Or the fact that a burned out headlight on a personal vehicle usually results in an R&R or at most a $50 ticket but if you have that exact same bulb burned out in a CMV, it will be $150 or more.

5. DVS Hardscaper

Mark -

Naturally, any adult knows that fines and citations generate revenue for gov't agencies. Dang, at typing for somthing That goes without saying, Mark!

Guy (and gals) are driving out there with 1,500# utility tractors that are not anchored to the trailer. This is dangerous. We have 70,000# trucks bring us soil with leaking air lines. This is dangerous. One of the trucks hauling for us yesterday had no brake lights. We have 10,000# trailers with faulty brakes - this is dangerous. Because of such examples a governing body is needed. It aids in keeping other motorists safe. Just as building codes are intended to keep the deck your friends just built from collapsing when 15 people are gathered on it for their daughter's graduation party tonight.

DOT numbers give inspectors the ability to view history. "Ok. This truck has no mirrors, and the system says he was warned about this 2 months ago". And the DOT system can also vouch for folks with good history. "Yeah this truck was in an accident in the beltway, but their DOT history shows their units always pass inspections"
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Good thing I got a new DOT # after my $5000 overweight ticket last year

7. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I'm curious what was the weight?

8. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering why there was 8 DOT cars in the weigh station I went through today... Never seen that before! Didnt even know we had 8 DOT cops in NH, haha. I was driving our tri-axle and didn't get pulled in. Looked like they were targeting tractor trailers with box trailers in my area.

9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I want to say it was 35 k? On my single axle 25995 gem international. He didn't want to make two trips to the dump :confused:

10. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that a typo? A $5,000.00 ticket??
    Posted via Mobile Device