This is not what I like to hear from customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, May 17, 2008.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I was mowing one of my residentials, and a customer comes out and says if I can skip the back to save him some money. Its a tiny yard that takes roughly 8 minutes to do in a row of 10 houses on the street that I mow. I only charge the guy $60 a month. he has been a good customer for the past 5 years now, easy to deal with and never picky. I just don't know what to do. The back yard is all weeds and mostly dirt, I just hate lowering prices.

2. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

what i would do is if i could afford to let it go for this time i would. if you have a signed current contract with him i would give him a copy of it and tell him at this point (one-time) it will be fine , but from now on i can't run a bus. and keep it profitable and stay competitive this way . if he can't or won't understand let him go. but give him time to find your replacement..

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My suggestion is give that man the entire mow for free this one time and let it be.

4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

tell your customer that the back yard will need trimmed up sooner or later, why not just do it every visit. i know, its gotta suck with just weeds and dirt, i have somes yards like that here. i would not lower your price. if you lower your price and not cut the back, whats going to happen when you have to start cutting the back again when the rain comes? tell him price stays the same!

5. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

after reading mine then your reply , yours sounds very professional . not bad..

6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i would explain to him that there really isn't room to go any lower

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I know this is going to sound like a smartazz answer and it's certainly not meant in that way.

You're mowing a guy's lawn for $60/month! I'm surprised you haven't had more of these issues come up before with that type of clientele.:nono:

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

What are you talking about, type of client. You obviously never mowed in Florida. Prices are different here. So are the yards. Average lawn is about 85 a month for me, but thats why I got a 150 accounts.

9. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

keep in mind though, you let this guy do it and then the other 9 houses know that you did it for him and you've just opened yourself a whole new can of worms.

10. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL...I hear ya! December thru May, I cut every other week, so I guess at these prices, it averages out for the year. I have to keep thinking that!!! I don't know who the poster was, but he posted, "Florida = Lowballers" , and boy do I agree. Every yo-yo with a car and trailer with a home chepo mower in the back and its hurting us professional guys!