this is nuts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Mar 18, 2001.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i got a phone call for my first spring cleanup the other day he said come on down give me a estimate.he tells me i want everything cleaned up leaves, branches ,wood, and garbage removed .it was a mess it looked like the guy never mowed his lawn last season and the leaves were embeded in the grass. branches everywere garbage,papers ,bottles. i rarely do something like this judgeing from the type of house he lived in i gave i guy a real good price .i figured he had no money and no one to do the work for him .it was at least a thousand dollar job he had a pile wood,sticks, that was almost as tall as me he wanted removed and my father came to a very fair estimate for the guy i told him i do all that work for 650.he agreed but he said he wanted eveything removed nothing left for him to be dumped .like the wood and garbage i didnt mind doing that because my girlfriend has a woods in here back yard and we dump all wood back there.he said come back this saturday to do it.the thursday of that week i got a message left on my aswer machine forget it i got a couple spanish guys that are gonna do it this weekend for two hundred dollars your price is to high thankyou but no thanx.i didnt really care that he called because i new i would have been mad doing all that work for free.but this is the crazy part i drove by his house today and he never got the work done so i guess 200.oo still is too much money for him cheap bastard he should do it himself.
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I would have never stopped at a dump like that anyway. He probably wouldn't have paid you so all you gained is time to do more profitable work. Stay away from crap like that! If a man chooses to live that way then he deserves to live in it year round!
  3. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Dito on what HOMER said. Imagine if you had done the work and not gotten paid at all! What are ya gonna do, take him to court and sue him? For what? You cant bleed blood from a turnip. Smile and look away whenever you drive by there.
  4. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

Homer is right and i believe most everyone on this site does this line of work because they enjoy it. Man that job you described sounds like no fun. Stay clear of those (crap jobs) in the future, you'll be glad you did.
  5. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

yea i here you guys on that stay away from the crappers
  6. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

He probably never had anyone to do it anyway just didnt ant to feel like an idiot by telling you he couldnt afford it after bringing you out. I'd stay away from that garbage!
  7. EarthTech Landscapes

EarthTech Landscapes LawnSite Member

I agree stay away from stuff like this. i have learned the hard way.
  8. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

The crew he found for 200.00 was a blessing. The other folks here have the right idea. You might have lost your butt on the deal.
  9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar situation last year. I have a regular customer that had an area in the backyard that was not maintained. Didn't bother me since it was not in sight from the road. Anyway he wants it cleaned up--as you said branches, 12 inches of leaves, etc. Too much for me so I recommend a friend of mine who quoted $1000. So the customer goes to the line where the day labor wiats and hires a couple of guys for $160 total and gets a small dumpster for $300 and was ahead.
    I still maintain his property since it is a 15 minute job, but I know there are no extras coming from his direction.

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer that lived in a dump and had three dogs. She was one of my BEST paying customers, never payed late, never argued about extra costs. I've also had customers who lived in nice houses and had problems with them. I think it can be hard sometimes to guess ahead about how a customer will turn out. This is one of the unfortunate parts of the business, I feel. I do believe that, in most cases though, if they live sloppy, they will be a problem.