1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

This is REDICULOUS!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, Jul 23, 2001.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wanted to order 2 gal of Hydro oil for my 725 G2 Grasshopper today and boy was I suprised! My dealer told me it was over $67 per gal. Can you believe that???? Last year it was $39 per gal which I thought was outrageous then. Little did I know it would be almost double in less than a year. I think some of these manufacturers are taking advantage of us. I mean, come on, over $16.75 per QUART. What type of fools do they take us for? I don't think I'll be buying Grasshopper the next time around!!!!!!!
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

C'mon Ed!!!

With the price of fuel having skyrocketed this season did you think the petroleum increase was limited to just petro??

Maybe we could stuff them in those tanks and see if they would like to re-quote their prices.:angry:

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

To bad you don't know what the specs of the oil are, you likely could cross it into a major brand of oil. For instance, my Grasshopper, non G2, uses Mobil DTE26 or equivalent. I would bet someone on this board has the information you need :)
  4. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Thats insane, I think the manufacture is milking you. Gas prices came back down, and motor oil prices never even rose. You can still buy a quart for under a buck. I stocked up on motor oil recently, bought 8 cases, just in fear of opec. Seems odd.
  5. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

what does the G-2 stand for?is it:(second generation gemini hydro's?) what year did they start with that?
  6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I went through this last year. Got in touch with the company headquarters, demanded a mil spec for the oil. They told me that the only real difference in their oil was a wear inhibitor (zinc) and that it was a prepriortary product and they didn't have to give me or anyone else a mil spec. I used to run Mobil DTE26 in my old Grasshopper which I bought from Grainger for $9 per Gal. I think I'll get some fluid from the local DC dealer. Everyone on this forum seems to think it's great stuff, what'd you folks think?
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

That's a big thing with these companies...zinc content. It's just a pump and wheel motor setup right? What brands of pumps and motors does it use? The stuff is probably motor oil ;)
  8. GrassChopper

GrassChopper LawnSite Member

A LCO I know uses 10w-30 in all his hydro equipment. Claims to never have had a problem. I have 2 Wright Standers and they use 5W-30 synth.

Your equipment probably uses something similar.
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I use 20-50 in my hydros, off the shelf.
  10. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to the Encore and Husqvarna people last year at the Expo, and both said the only reason they put the synthetic oil in their machines was because the other mfg's did it. I got a Husky ZTR in June, and it uses straight 20w50. I don't see what the big deal is, but I know if Grasshopper wanted me as a cotinued client, they would tell me what I want to know or everything I owned with their name on it would get traded for another brand. There's way too much stuff out there to put up with crap from a prima donna.