1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

This is sad.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Jun 1, 2008.

1. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I love cuitting grass and gettin the new accounts and buying new equipment. However, I am in the process of applying for the Police Department for our Parish(Jefferson). I have a veryyyyy good chance of getting into it too. Im upset about it but Law work is what I think I really wanna do. O well, I no that if I dont get into it, then I know what Ill be doing. I kinda wanna save some of my good accounts and then just do those on my day(s) off. However, I dont know how I can work out Police Work, night school and maintaing 17 accounts.

I am going to be applyin for Cadet or Corrections(prision) so I know I will be off on Sunday, other than that I dont know what the schedule is like. I just wanted to hear some of your comments cause I know theres a lot of FF do this. I dont know where I want this thread to go, but o well, I just wanted to explain my current situtation.

OOO yeah, one other thing, I think I would stay in this business but during the winter the money sucks in LA cause people dont want you out there but like once a month. We dont have Fall Cleanups, snow plowing; jus garden work and cutting grass.
  2. railman

railman LawnSite Member

I say keep on cutting grass even if you do get the police job. man I have a full time job working at the railroad being on call 24/7 and at times requires me to go out of town. I have 20 residential accounts that I cut when ever I can and my customers are very understandable. I have accounts that I cut weekly and bi-weekly. so I say keep on cutting brother.
  3. TheChiefsLawnCare

Yeah, thats really what I want to do, I will be so sad having to tell all my people sorry but I can no longer cut yours lawn. I have worked hard to get my 16 accounts. And to just piss them down the drain like would really suck.

I would say that you would be able to handle 16 accounts. I went through training from the end of october until april so I mowed a couple times in november and then started back up once I got out of training on my days off.
    I would say that you will be able to mow on saturdays and sundays most academys are monday thru friday 7:30 or 8 until 4:30 or 5. However, it may be different where you are.
  5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Matthew, I have a friend that the street that is a kenner cop but also cuts lawns. He wants to eventually just do lawns. Go figure.
  6. swordfish

swordfish LawnSite Member

Maybe you will be the next Harry Lee
  7. TheChiefsLawnCare

HAHA, sure, Id love the salary, but no thanks, I dont want that much responsibility.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Strange you think this is sad, because I'm happy.

Both for you and for myself, if Police work is what you have wanted then I wish you the best of luck in your career, and I look forward to taking over some long lost work as well.

9. TheChiefsLawnCare

HAHA, you wont get the work that I drop, im in New Orleans, lol.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhh I figured you might not be in my area but it still kinda works out like that... :p