this is the way a business is run in new jersey

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 20, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i know, wrong forum, i just thought this was nuts. talk about running a business? my little sister called me last night to tell me the ordeal she had with a t.v repair shop. she used the t.v repair shop, that has been in business for like 40 yrs in this area. she calls, asks if they repair televisions. yes, they do. she asks if estimates are free, or charged for. he says free. ok, she brings the t.v. he asks what it is doing, and says he will get back to her within 2 days with an estimate. 2 days go by, no call. she calls him. he says he didn't look at it yet. two more days go by, she calls him. he says, "ok, yes, your t.v is fixed, cum and get it." she says, "but, i was supposed to get an estimate." he says, "well, i had to take it all apart to figure out what was wrong, so i just fixed it." she says, "but, i didn't tell you to proceed with the work, how much is it?" he says, "$225." my sister says, "no way, undo what you did, and give me back my t.v" the guy says, "well, i can't undo what i did. i spent quite awhile working on this. i'll tell you what, how much would you like to pay for the repair?" she says, "i don't know." he says, "well, sleep on it, call me tommorow." next day.....she calls back, "look, for a couple bucks more, i could have bought a brand new t.v please just give me back my t.v, undo what you did." the guy says, "can't do it, make me an offer." my sister says, "i'll give you $60." the guy says no way. they argue back and forth. the guy says, "i'll tell you what, sell me the t.v., how much you want for it?" my sister says, "i don't know." the guy says, "well, sleep on it, call me tommorow." next day....she calls, "ok, give me $100 for the t.v." the guy says, "no way, this piece of junk isn't worth $100." my sister says, " YOU IDIOT!!! you told me it was $225 to repair it, now it's not worth $100??" the guy says, "i'll give you $50 for the t.v" poor girl is vey upset over this. what would you do?

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would probably take him to court...tough call. I know since tv's has came down so much in price, their not even worth the trouble to get fixed. With the exception of a newer tv of big screen. I have a 27" zenith that will work for about 30 minutes and go on the blink. Used, it might be worth $50....and figure those repair men arent going to fix it for that. In that line of business, you almost have to charge for an estimate. I know many in my area do. I would demand my tv back..now that I think about it. But, you know that guys is going to probably do some unfixable damage once it's returned back to her. I would demand to have it returned back at no charge and chuck it in the trash.

3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

BG you have to takeover go and strong arm the tv he taking advantage of your sister.

4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I would take a couple of friends over to his shop with me, drag his sorry ass outside, and beat him like he owes me money.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

oh, for sure, the last guy (a resturaunt owner) who tried ripping off my sister got the shock of his life when i entered his establishment during the lunch rush in a blaze of glory(but that is another story). yup, today i'd say before the first college football game starts i'm pickin up my $300 for my leaf cleanup (sticks? oh yea, we'll discuss the sticks) and a t.v. set. and i aint paying for the damn t.v

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

So when do we get to hear about the resturaunt? Or is that just a little teaser to keep us coming back?

7. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont see the problem...............fighting over a dead tv......the tv wont work if he returns it as it was, so just buy a new one. Let him keep it.

8. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I kind of agree about leaving the TV and just taking the $50, but it's the principle of the thing. The guy did the work without authorization, and the wanted her to pay an outrageous price for it with no choice in the matter. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Not good business. This is the heart of the matter, don't ignore that. I still think he needs a good ass woopin to help him make better decisions about his poor customer in the future.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Since he is offering her 50 bux for it that prob is the repair bill. I know this isnt right because she asked for the estimate before the repair was to be done, I would take the 50 bux and go and get me another tv

10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Yeah go beat him up. I'm sure it's worth a night in the county jail and the accompanying assault charges.

Good advice... :rolleyes: