this is what a customer asked me today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 18, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i did an estimate today for 2 neighbors. both were very nice ladies, with beautiful properties. i should say potantially beautiful. they both wanted alot of work maint wise...mowing, fert programs, shrub trimming, 10-12yds of mulch each, bed edging, etc. they have both used different services, several in the last few years, that just werent cutting it. even on the frozen ground i could see an abundance of crabgrass and clover, bare spots that once were grass, and some moss started to develop on both properties. the edging was of poor quality and obviously done with a line trimmer rather than a mechanical edger. they were unhappy with the weeds, the need to reseed every spring :dizzy: and mentioned there were tons of dandelions every spring. thier properties were non irrigated. this, the lack of english speaking help, and basic unreliability were thier issues. they put together a "questionair" between them. i obviously dazzled them with my superior knowledge. they admitted to be "interviewing" others as well, and asked what questions they should add to thier list. they want to make sure thier man is knowledgable to cure thier turf problems. in a "quiz like" fashion, what questions would you suggest be on thier list , using the lawn quality problems i described above, as well as the other issues.

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Question #1- Are you a licensed applicator?
    Question #2- Can you provide references?
    Question #3- How much and in what manner will I be billed?
    Question #4- Do you require that I sign a contract?
    Question #5- Will I be able to communicate in English with at least one member of the crew servicing my property?

Thats just a few that I would ask given your scenario, but I have the sneaking suspicion that you are attempting to set up a straw man just to knock him over.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

locutus, be more specific in the aplicator part. believe it or not, there are many licensed aplicators that havn't a clue. the last few guys they had were licensed, and the lawns are in bad shape

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

To find out if their potential lawn man is somewhat knowledgeable, they should maybe ask:
    what time of the year are dandelions treated?
    what is in your opinion causing my lawn to have moss?
    when do you recommend reseeding my lawn?

are you insured?
    will the owner be on site at all times?
    have long have you been in business?

5. locutus

from NC

My theory is that if you take the time to get licensed, you may actually care to learn what chemicals work for each specific problem. That is assuming the person licensed is the one doing the applications. While this is not always a guarantee of success, it is at least a start.

The only other thing that could potentially be a problem is the clients unwillingness to pay for the additional services required to bring their lawns up to par.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

insurance? Workmans comp and general liability? can provide certificates?

are you a full time, or a part time service. this is important becuase the primary job WILL interfere with the mowing.

three referances

any accrediations (placca, alca, etc..)

pestacide liscense?

years in business

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

yardbird, i was hoping you were a bit smarter than you look in your picture. read carefully.......in QUIZ LIKE FASHION what questions would you ask? ok, i'll make it simpler.....how many lbs of n per season, when to treat dandelions, you know, stuff like that simpleton

8. locutus

from NC

I appear to be a thread killer.

9. Sir Mow-A-Lot

Sir Mow-A-Lot LawnSite Member

Didn't you feel like they were wasting your time?

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

not really. it's dead here, havn't had a call in over a week. i enjoyed it