This is what I compete with every day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jul 12, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Today I was mowing an account and right across the road is a store I used to do that belonged to a good friend and I was doing it for $25 (a $40 job). Last year he sold it to a certain "group" of folks who own all the stores where I live. The new owner tried to get me to do it for $15 and I told him no, it would be $25 since that was what I was doing it or now. He agreed and ever time he paid me grumbled about it. Six months ago I pulled up to do it on their day and there was a guy on a stanley mowing it. I just left and said good ridance. When I leaving the account across from it I noticed a young lady mowing it with a murray push mower and she was having a hard time being it was bahai and was 102 degrees. She looked like she was about to fall out so I pull across road and get out and asked her if she would like a gatoraid. She said yes I sure would. I got to talking to her and found out she had been doing this for 3 weeks, had a husband who would not work and needed money bad. She told me the other guy quit and had heard all kinds of bad stuff on our local store owners. I told her I had no comment on that one. She said was doing all yards for $15-$20. I told her not tryiing to be a smarta$$ but my first year in business I done that too and you cannot survice, She looked at my trailor and commented I had some fine equipment. I felt sorry for her and told her if she would mow the long section in front (has to be push mowed) Iwould do the rest for her. She thanked me and declined, I told her she needed to be VERY careful in this heat, I have been bear caught several times. As I got in my truck I hear a BAM BAM and new what it was. She had run over the concrete land marker and the smoke was rolling out the top of the engine. She looked so pitiful and PO at the same time. She looked so upset I did not get out and ask if I could help again being she had already declined my offer. BTW she was doing this for yard for $15.I dont like to use the scrub word because some folks are doing the best they can, I guess theyll have to learn like I did. It just makes it hard on us lcos who cant compete with 15 and 20 jobs. I still feel for a mother trying to feed her family on these wages though.

Danny
    Quality Lawn Care

2. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

Excellent grammar ;)

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Very productive comment Nick17. Did your parents ever try to teach you any respect for your elders?

Derek

4. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Nick, you have a 21" inch push mower as your mower and you are pointing fingers? come on man, not everyone types perfect

5. QualityLawnCare4u

Uhh Nick, what is wrong with my "grammar" Maybe I need to put my glasses on and go back and re-read my post. When I type something I do it like I mow, fast. LOL

6. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

You did the right thing trying to help allot of people trying to start out just don't know. I has helped me in the long run trying to help new people than to laugh and point at them. Some not all don't know there not charging enough and have had them help me when I need it. Now some I talk to know everything there is and I say have a nice day and leave it at that. We even started a county landscape assco. It helps the start ups and helps the old pro's to. What goes around comes around.

7. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

Sorry guys, today hasn't been at all any fun. I guess I shouldn't have said that comment, and hardworking-poorman I apologize.

dmontgomery, please don't speak for my parents. It has been very tough for them and me as well. Don't ask..

-Nick

8. QualityLawnCare4u

Lets see. I used "it" "and" to many times instead of . and , also spelled ever and should have been every. LOL Like no one can figure out what I was trying to say :)

9. QualityLawnCare4u

No apology needed Nick, I have a great since of homor, You have to too be in the lawn service LOL Tommorow will be a better day.

Danny

10. QualityLawnCare4u

homer > humor LOL I cant even spell with my glasses on. Thats another one of those things that quit working when you get past 40 son.