This is What I'm Talkin Bout - Employee Negligence!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1cooltreeguy, Apr 14, 2007.

1. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

OK - Here we go. Gave everybody Fat raises cuz they are ALL trained. BOOM - everyday they bring back stuff broke because of stupidity. I am so Tired of it - Look at the PICS and you tell me!! Seriously let me have it. Tell me the truth and I'll adjust my TUDE if I am wrong:cry: :cry: :cry: SERIOUSLY - TELL me how, HOW, HOW someone manages to bend the PTO PULLEY tucked in between the PTO and the Engine block - Well here it is!! And OH yes the broke valve stem severed in half - aregular occurence around here on the Beach - NO TREES, BUSHES etc..

P4140154.JPG

P4140155.JPG

P4140151.JPG

P4140152.JPG

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

The pully, I have no idea how that could happen unless something was jammed in there wether in the trailer on on a property. As far as the valve stem...IMO that could happen at any time to any one. Our old truck had a new set of tires and new valve stems and within a week one of the tires were low due to the same thing.

3. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Valve stem, no big deal. That's a cheap fix. I don't know about the other, unless something got accidently pushed in there, or a branch, or something else. What did they say? I'm curious.

4. 1cooltreeguy

Yeah - Valve stem is no big deal if they werent doing it once a week. As to the PTO bend - lets see -"UH, I dont know, I think it happened when the other guy was ridin" - Both point the finger at each other just like always.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First I would see about ordering valve stems from a different supplier, I've had a few do that crap, but maybe 1 / year or so.

You might keep a close eye on WHO is getting the broke valve stems, it could be a 'ooops I got a flat tire now I can go home' thing. Not saying it is, unfortunately it could affect more than one employee if it is the little crew secret and everyone but you is in on it. Just an idea, something to watch out for.

Because that was pointed out to me years ago by other Owner / Operators:
    When something is near breaking, the owner who notices it will likely baby the machine the rest of the day and hopes to get through... The employee on the other hand might just go hard on that part and hopes it will break (so they can go home).

So, it could be a cheap parts issue on the one hand...
    This you have to eliminate first, to be fair, maybe just go to Napa and get 2-3 stems, just for kicks, then use those.
    Get the high dollar ones, if that exists in the valve stem dep't, oh yeah, gold plated if they got them, just 2-3 thou :laugh:

As for two employees who point the finger at each other, that means they were both riding it.
    If two guys rob a bank, both go to prison, doesn't matter who held the gun.
    And if it did matter, and each points the finger at the other, then both must've held it, simple, logical.
    So if B points the finger at A, and A points the finger at B, then both A and B did it, and both are held accountable.

6. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Time to lower the boom. When they get there first thing in the morning, tell em we aint going anywhere until I damn we know what happened. Honesty, even if it's their fault, sure as hell goes a long way. My helper has had stuff mess up, or break, I'm always told. That said, you obviously have several guys working for you so your situation is somewhat different. Hope you get it straightened out. Good luck.

7. 1cooltreeguy

Thanks Bro. I am so over it - Just rips the heart out of proffit. Chaps my Hyde - Man - I feel like becoming a parts rep just so I can mitigate the cost of parts replacement and keep my profit margin up.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

where are you located????

we are in atlantic beach nc....

dock the pay of EVERYONE on the crew for the repair. this will start them getting on eachother if one is tearing your stuff up...UNLESS you are our competition... then just don't worry about it.. they eventually see what a good boss you are and begin to treat your stuff like gold.....LOL....

9. 1cooltreeguy

Dude, I am still Laughing sitting here - That is funny!! I think I am going to dock them - I have warned them. We are located on the Outer Banks - Kitty Hawk, NC - 35 miles south of Virginia Beach, VA - Thanks but no competition.

10. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I had 1 guy last year that was careless on 2 occasions. Cost me about $200. My solution was to reduce his hourly pay by $1.50 per hour. Told him that if nothing got tore up he would receive an hourly bonus of $1.50 for each week there were no problems. Worked great for the rest of the year and now all my guys are paid that way. Give them an incentive to do good and you will get better results from your guys.