This is why I hate residential

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey humphrey, Jun 6, 2011.

1. casey humphrey

casey humphrey LawnSite Member

I picked up a new customer this weekend her yard was a forest!! I told her my price we agreed on the moweing of every two weeks.

I gave her a price on her very overgrown hedges. She stated that is to high maybe I will just do a few than. I said let me know which ones you want done. Now I get a phone call she stated all I can afford is 200.00 dollars could you do them all for that price? The original price was 300.00 with a 75.00 disposal fee. It is atleast a 6 hour job! I said that is my final price I can not go any lower than that.

Residential sucks!!! For the past year I have a handfull of residential and they seem to think my price is up for discusion. How do you tell these people in a nice way that is my price deal with it?

I love commercial ya give them a price either they like it or not. It seems they understand we don't do this for charity. I just show up every week give the property 110% of my time and detail and leave.

2. tlc1994

tlc1994 LawnSite Senior Member

We have the ability to decide who we choose to work for. Simply, if you and the customer can't meet a consensus, then it is best to part ways before any animosity yields.

3. tuffram

tuffram LawnSite Senior Member

I have had this happen a few times. They call you out to give them an estimate then when you give it to them; they try to negotiate the price with you. I hate it when this happens I just politely tell them the price I give you is my best estimate for the work you requested me to quote you a price for the price is non-negotiable.

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

just tell them to check with someone else for trimming the hedges because you can't do it for that price.

5. rem-md

rem-md LawnSite Member

You don't if you want to stay in business. Almost everything in business is negotiable. Comes with the territory. I'll bet you don't go into the car dealer and take their first price offer. I'm not comparing a $30,000 car to a $300 service - just sayin....

6. tuffram

tuffram LawnSite Senior Member

If you give them, the best price you can from the beginning and tell them this is the best price I can give you there is no negotiation for me to do. If a car dealer would do this and you know the price is fair you would buy it.

7. casey humphrey

The whole car thing is a bad example. They are a huge corperations that can AFFORD to take that hit and than write the car off as LOST sales and we the AMERICAN people get to pay for it in the long run. My dad worked for a ford dealership as a mechanic for 20 years.If I was bidding a 30k lawn contract THAN I am open for discusion than on that contract I could afford to DISCUSS the price and the work involved Just sayn.

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

You're going to have customers try to get your price down no matter what. But I find it funny that lawn care is one particular industry that customers really try to negotiate prices, you don't see customers trying to talk the heating and cooling guy down on his service call price or the electrician's service call rate.

Just recently I had a person call to get a price on weekly lawn mowing. I had worked for this person a couple years ago before they moved. Well, they ended up moving back to my area and moved just around the corner from my house. Husband calls me and asks me to come take a look at the yard when I get a chance and let him know what the price would be. I drive over (20 second drive from my house) on my way out, looked over the lawn and figured a price. Called the husband back and left a message with him, told him $27/week (It would take me 20 minutes to do and I had almost no drive time). Well the wife calls me back a day or two later and proceeds to tell me that the price I gave them seems awefully high and wants to know if I could do any better, like $20/week. I couldn't say no fast enough, I told her that $27 is the absolute best I can do and I will not go any lower. She tells me later that they will be going with the kid across the street.

When I give someone a price, that's my price, there is no negotiating it. I'm in business to actually make money and will not lower my price just because they can't afford to pay the price I gave.

9. casey humphrey

I love this story MOWERBRAD. I get this all the time is 7 bucks really going to break the bank? I bet that kid doesn't have insurance and pay good old uncle sam his cut. Oh and this is the best part he probably lives with his parents. He does not have a morgage to pay HAHA

10. THG

THG LawnSite Member

There is nothing wrong with sticking with your price but there is also nothing wrong with a customer asking for a lower price. Being able to say no professionally and explaining your answer goes a long way in the long run.