This is why I lowball some "pros"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jones, Jun 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

After reading many of these posts I have come to the conclusion that many "Pros" are not properly equipped or of the proper mindset to do smaller residential lots.
    I see, in my area, over equipped (z's and big WB's) over staffed (3-4 guys) pull up to a res. and after much fussing about, putting pylons around the truck, unloading z's, and WB's, one guy standing around to blow, trimmer guy with helmit, goggles, AND trimmer guard, finishing one lawn in the time it takes my partner& I to do 3 across the street with 21 LB's and IF I'M FEELING LAZY the 36 hydro. Of coarse they only have one lawn on that street because they can't get the BM's (Big Mowers) into the backyards. Now I'm sure they do some big props 10* faster than we could but if I can cut 3 to there 1 with 2 guys compared to 4 I'm going to be charging less.
    If you think a 21 is a TRIM MOWER and you come into my area, prepare to be lowballed by a pro.

No offense to those of you that stay in the wide open spaces where the z's and the big WB's can roam.

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Yes but I bet that one lawn looks real good and they work safe , pay insurance and taxes.

3. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

HA HA HA LMAO!

4. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

Kris,
    I guess you just assumed I don't pay taxes & insurance and I do a lousy job because I can cut those type of lawns more efficiently and at a better price.

5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Jones, glad to have you around and I hope that you get a lot of use out of this site. Let's tryo not to be quite so confrontational here, alright? This is a place where we come to help out and get ideas, ask questions and get answers, etc. Generally speaking, practicing one-upsmanship here is not taken to very well.

Glad to hear that you're having good profiteering with your low overhead. Hope that you can keep it that way.

God bless.

6. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

kris,don't be a jerk....first of all,jones never said a single thing about not paying taxes or having insurance,why'd you assume that?also,I bet his lawns look great,and IMHO he gave a very legitimate reason to "lowball".

7. CSRA Landscaping

I think we're misrepresenting what lowballing is, here. Lowballing, as I understand it, is coming in and undercutting everyone else. This does a coupla things, one of which is get the lowballer the job. Another thing it does is cause word to spread about what the lowballer is charging, forcing every otehr company in town to lower their prices. Now this may all sound well and good but ..

It will come to the point where the one who started the ball rolling will think 'Gee, it'd sure be nice if I were making more at this.' Shoulda thoughta that.

And .. it will probably cause some LCO's some financial strain, possibly resulting in the laying off of some employees. Now they gotta go elsehwere.

I would rather plan ahead, bid everything based on premium service and deliver what I bid, with a cozy profit margin, than just work to pay the bills.

But again, to each his own.

8. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

Andy, I could not said it better myself. Thank You.
    CSRA, let me state the finacial aspects of this once more.
    4 guys, 1 lawn, 25 minutes, $40.
    2 guys, 3 lawns, 30 min, $60.
    Also as you stated I have less overhead that's good not bad.
    These guys would kick my but on bigger props but I don't go near those don't want to 'cause there's too much money to be made using a TRIM MOWER.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the problem with your reasoning is that one man with a 52
    z can put out so much more work ,and after a while i am to thepoint that if i want to i can eliminate 90 percent of the trim with the mower.after a while you can get to just about any thing a 36 can,
    i spent 3 yrs following a kees 36 and i thought right much of it ,still do.but for just plain increased work production its not close to what a good z will put out.this is not to stir cause i loved my walkbehind. it helped me work my way out of crippling arthritus.
    later

10. CSRA Landscaping

Must be something to you Canadian fellas. What do they put in your wheaties? Anywho, I think that thar was the first time that you posted them thar figgers, Jones. Thing about it is, though, you're right. The Z's are more suited for wide open cutting. I prefer it that way. However, it doesn't always happen exactly like I want it so if I have to tiptoe around Ms. Betty's yard, that's alright. Thing is, why do you want to put 'em down? Mebbe they wuz tard. Are we out to put everyone else on a lower pedestal? That's a great way to insure that the customers get great prices, at any rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.