This is why you should ALWAYS wear eye protection!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, May 1, 2007.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Today I was weedeating along a chain link fence and the weedeater picked up a rock about the size of a marble and it slung it at bullet speed and completely shattered my left goggle lens. No harm to my eye. No doubt this would have been bad without eye protection. I'm sure you all practice safety but just a friendly reminder of what could have been!

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Couldn't agree more. Told my helper to go back to the truck and get his safety glasses the other day and he was hit by a rock near his eye within minutes. Left a pretty good mark on his skin just under the frame. I don't have to tell him anymore.

3. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

you would have to be a complete dumb a@@ not to wear eye protection while using the line trimmer.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

That is true but every day I see some dumbazz not wearing them while weedeating. I had rather lose about anything besides my eyesight!

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I was training him so he's learning fast.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Close one uh? Those are probably the same guys who set their hot equipment down in dry grass and start fires in this state.

7. QualityLawnCare4u

Is that why my county is buring up right now:) Yeah, there are some smart folks out there who would do something like this. Another thing I find unbelivable is some idiot getting off a mower and stick their hands under the deck while its still running, thinking that just because the blades are off they are safe. Here's your sign:hammerhead:

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to hear you're ok Danny. Are ya getting any relief down there with any rain these days?

9. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

not 100% fullproof for obvious reasons, but if you are flinging rocks with a weedeater on a regular basis, either the shield is not sufficient or in proper place, or it is being used incorrectly and carelessly. I know it happens from time to time, but never mind just ourselves, flinging rocks is a serious liability.

10. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

trimming w/o googles is only slightly more stupid than running a mower or blower w/o ear protection. i just don't get it!
    rod, i'll answer for dano, no rain, none in sight. the fires have now covered about 100k ac. all they say is they are working to contain them, whatever that means. we also have several smaller fires, 1500ac that an arsonist set nearby.