This just made my day!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottm1, Apr 3, 2008.

1. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Thanks to a lot of help on here last fall(especially from Tacoma2000) when I purchased my first commercial ZTR. I looked at every brand under the sun and eventually chose the Scag Turf Tiger.......Anyway......Yesterday while I was on the road for my job, I happened to drive by one of the dealers that I shopped at while I was looking for my new mower. This particular dealer sells Dixon and Ferris. However, when I drove by on the highway at that dealer, I saw them mowing THEIR OWN yard with a Scag!.....Now I am not posting this to start a brand war, because I know there are a lot of good brands out there, but this just happened to hit my situation right on. I am also aware that in another area the Scag dealer might be mowing his own yard with a Dixon or Ferris! Anyway, that just made my day. I hope I havent offended any Ferris or Dixon owners out there, because I was really close to buying one of them because they are great mowers too, I just happened to get the best "deal" on the Scag. I was only pointing out how ironic that was.

2. grass2cash

grass2cash LawnSite Member

what had happened was...

The Scag was probably a dud that they couldn't get sold and decided to put it out to pasture in his own yard. I kid, I kid!!!!

3. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

ha ha...I already thought about that. That is certainly a possibility. LOL

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Probably more truth in that statement than what's there.

It could easily be they got the machine in on trade, and wanted to run it to get a feel for it, or it could just be a machine someone brought in to have service done on it, and they're just checking to make sure everything's working on it.

5. tgaskill

tgaskill LawnSite Member

Also may have nothing to do with the dealer? I run Exmarks and mowed for a BadBoy only dealer for 2 years.

6. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Yes, I agree. There are many reasons they could have been mowing their own yard with a different brand. They are a good service repair shop for all brands of mowers, and they are a very reputable small engine/mower dealer. I'm sure the most likely reason was that they had it in for service work, and was testing their adjustments to the deck, checking power after a tuneup, etc, etc,ect. The possibilities are endless. I was just trying to be funny. :dancing:I try not to be shallow minded like some of the arguments I have witnessed in the restaurant/coffee shop when a bunch of old retired guys are arguing on who makes the best truck. It just made me feel good when I saw it for the reason of that is what I had just bought. I just wanted to soak up that good feeling I had for a moment without reading too much of the facts into it. :cool2: Have a good one guys

7. tgaskill

tgaskill LawnSite Member

I would laugh if I saw it too. When cutting for the Badboy dealer I did always mow early morning while there was light visible traffic and would never mow during biz hours, just out of respect for his Badboy dealership.

8. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Yes Tgaskill, That is ironic too. Kinda like the other day I am at restaurant and they guy sitting next to me was wearing a Pepsi uniform(obviously worked for Pepsi) but when we got up to fill our soda glasses at the fountain he filled his with Coke. Now that doesn't really seem like a big deal in itself, but let me add that the fountain had both Coke and Pepsi on it and he still filled it with Coke. I thought that was funny too. Another ironic thing I recently saw was when I went to inspect a truck that had fire damage under the hood from a carburetor backfire(I am an insurance adjuster), and it was actually a Fire truck. LOL I know, I know, fire trucks have just as much of a chance of catching fire as anything else, but again, how ironic..LOL

9. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

tgaskill, that shows a mutual respect from each of you. He didn't hold it against you because you weren't using his brand of mower. And you had respect for him by mowing when it was less likely that someone would see another brand mowing his yard and possibly making an issue of it. Respect like this is what makes the world go around smoothly. If we all treated each other with that kind of respect, the world would be so much better.