This lady is unbelievable!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by new2thebiz, Jun 20, 2004.

1. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

Alright,
    I have this one old lady whos lawn I do, and she is by far the biggest PITA I have ever known. I wish I could aford to raise the price or drop her, but this is my first year in business, and I really cannot aford to lose anyone. Heres the ever-growing list of things shes done so far.
    1. Wants me to cut her lawn as low as I possibly can, and even though I cut it the same length every time, procedes to tell me that it is either too short or too long on a varying basis.

2. Calls me any time I get to her lawn after about 11 AM and lectures me about how "she pays me well" ( really I accidently underbid her) and does not appreciate me putting her last on my priorities, even though I explain to her every time that my route doesnt allow me to get there until about 2.

3. Tried to get me to mow part of a weed field that she said we "agreed upon" in the bid I gave her. (we didnt agree upon it, and I didnt do it).

4. My truck broke down one week and even though I called and told her I would be a day late because of it, she went on a five minute run about how I was unreliable and she should find someone else. ( I'd never missed a mowing date before that).

5. Even though I tell her every time she stops me that I will do the trimming after I finnish the mowing, she stops me at least 3 or 4 times every week to tell me that "I missed some spots"

anyone else have customers this bad but cant aford to lose them?

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

New 2 I have one EXACTLY like her. I underpriced her yard badly!
    1) If Im not their by 8am she will call me and complain.
    2) last month ny mower broke down and she statred fussing that I should have another mower to finish her yard with.
    3)Last week my truck broke down and she called all day wanting to know if Im coming and I should have a backup truck bla bla
    4) Will walk every square inch of yard looking for 1 blade of grass I missed.
    5) And the final straw came last week when she bought a new car last week but complained she could not aford a 5 dollar increase in my price. As of next Thursday I will be cutting her yard for the last time and Im telling her after she hands me my check I can hardly wait to drop this one and I like you cant really afford it but dam it, she aint worth it!

Danny
    Quality Lawn Care

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

BTW I forgot to add she demands that I cut her yard as low as the deck will go, I dont do it but tell her thats as low as it will go (for me)

4. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Customer's like them, I'll drop them in less than a heartbeat.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Roger that!

6. new2thebiz

Oh I would love to drop her if I could, as soon as I get enough business to do so I'm raising her price by $20 or shes gone.

7. new2thebiz

Hey hardworking=poorman,

I'll ask her next time I mow if she has a sister in georgia. lol. they gotta be related.

8. Lakeside

Lakeside LawnSite Member

i advise you NOT to tell her anything but you appreciate her business and you are sorry things didnt work out. it only takes her loud mouth to slander your company. just be polite, and carry on with your business w/o her.

9. N4PSN

N4PSN LawnSite Member

Ditdo, Lakeside I agree. Drop her but be nice. It is a hard thing to do all the time but BE NICE. Or she can ruion you.

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldn't worry to much about the slander unless your a house hold name no one is going to remember you any ways when it comes time to hire a landscaper them selves.

Iv even seen this happen 2 times you have a complete falling out I mean they hate you so you end your relationship with them. Then 2-4 years later who should happen to call you again not only do they not remember your company name but when you meet them they don't even recognize you and act as though you only just met. I think people’s memories are much shorter then some would like to think.

As for your problem lady I got a few questions for you one how long does it take to get there? How long does it take to do the job? How much time does she use up per week complaining after and before you do the job?

Now add all 3 of those answer’s together I'm guessing its way over and hour now how much do you get to cut the lawn? Divide that by the number of hours a week she takes and figure out what you really make an hour. Then minus out gas, insurance, and wear and tear, on your truck and equipment. Then tell me if you really can’t afford to drop her.