This man's a pest

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yrdandgardenhandyman, Apr 12, 2006.

1. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Last fall (sorry I couldn't find it) I posted about a guy who keeps calling me for estimates on services. I was always too expensive for him. Like last year he wanted me to clean along his fence and his bushes. I gave him a price of, I think, $75.00. Fairly quick and limited job. He asked why he got it done the year before for $40.00 and I suggested he call that guy. Of course that guy isn't doing lawn service anymore. I asked if maybe that was because he didn't charge enough for the services. I then left.
    Yesterday, I get a call from this same guy. He wants me to bid this cleanup again. After it sat all winter under the snow no less. He didn't get anybody to do it last year.
    I reminded him that I had already given him a price but that it would probably be more now. He then said that he thought that by now I had come to my senses and come down on my pricing. :hammerhead: I told him I had come to my senses but it didn't involve lowering my prices. :dizzy: We then parted ways again. But.......today he calls again and says he wants to discuss the cleanup. :confused:
    Do I call him back again or do I just start ignoring him? Simple answer I guess.
    But what if he has decided to go with my price, which by now will have gone up?
    I did trim some bushes for him a couple of years ago and no problems with pricing.

2. fredrickj23

fredrickj23 LawnSite Member

I would pass on this client. You will "open a can of worms" with this dude. This job is not worth your time. It will snowball into other things down the road.,ie. he will beat you down on bids for any and all jobs.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

YRD...I solved my problem with a little old lady that fired me from mowing to let the neighbor kid do it but wanted me to continue to do her grunt work.

I charged her $175 for $75 dollars worth of bed work and that solved the problem...never heard from her again.

SO...I suggest you take your estimate, add $100 to it and and your pest problem will be solved as well.

GEO :)

4. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Charge him to estimate the job your time is money he wasted your time last Year. Charge him 35.00 then take it off the bid if you get the job

5. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I would work with this guy. (If I could see the job, I'd tell you my cost.)
    Anyways, meet with him, stick to your prices and go that extra mile to make him happy. Now, when you tell him your prices and he complains, leave him and give a contract and stick to your prices. He will have a contract in hand and sees it written in stone. If he atlers any of it, Don't return. Just hang up on him.

If all he wants to do is add in extra stuff for that set price, work with him being a few more dollars.

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had this problem before as well, it all stopped when the lady had called for about the sixth or seventh time. Over the phone I pointed out to her that I have been out there several times before and been to high for her, and asked makes her think that my prices are lower now. She hung up on me and I have never heard from her again. I get the thinking that I'm not the only one she was doing this to. :rolleyes:

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sir--either you have alot of time on your hands or or you are one super customer service oriented guy.

either way, based upon the information given by yrdandgardenhandyman, I don't see any money getting in your pockets, or his, or mine from a customer like the one described.

I'll explain. the customer has contacted YRD THREE TIMES over a $75 job and still will not authorize the work.

he complains about the price of YRD's estimate and wants to discuss the issue further...which means more carping, complaining and crying about the price.

this customer isn't going to be happy with YRD's, or yours, or my work or anyones work at the price he is going to have to pay to get the work done.

since TIME IS MONEY, more talk with this old man is going to cost YRD time and therefore cost YRD money.

I say cut the old goat loose and quit wasting valuable time.

that is how I see the situation. others, including yourself, obviously see the situation differently but that is how I see it.

GEO :)

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Every time he calls raise the price by $25.00. The longer he waits more work will be needed to finish the job.

9. personally I wouldn't waste another minute on him, but thats me.

10. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Ive been in that situation before. This guy is always going to be a PITA and never want to give you full value for your services. Do yourself a favor and move on to the next one.Time is money and think of what you have wasted already .