This may be a lame ? but how do you guys maintain trimmer grass height?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by syzer, Feb 12, 2001.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

When you guys trim how do you keep the trimmer grass the same height (even) with the grass cut with the mower? I know when I trim, allot of the times its hard to keep from tilting the head a little bid and digging.

Also when you are running it along a fence either metal or wood, how to you effectively get the grass down to height. You cant smack the grass between the pickets as you will destroy the wood over time? Any tips tricks or suggestions here?

Chris
    Precision Landscaping!

2. Guest

You just have to develop a feel for the trimmer. From personal experience I think you get a better trim from fixed line trimmer heads. The head I used is about 3/4 thick with a 2.5 in radius. Much like a coffee cup saucer. I see more and trim fast. You do spend about 5 minutes a day changing the string every 2-3 cuts but you also spend time winding up string in the bump feed heads as well.

Try using a diluted vegetation killer for in between the fence planks.

3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not an exact science but - I've found that, after using the same brand/model/style of trimmer for a while, you just start to know how/where it trims. That makes it a lot easier to gauge "even -ness". Don't expect the trimmed grass to exactly match the cut grass - as a general rule of thumb - just try not to scalp the areas that you trim. If it's a little lower, it just gives it that "finished" look. That's Ok.
    A lot of times, if there's something that I know the trimmer will tear up (fence, vinyl siding, etc....), I point it out to the customer and ask if they'd prefer we skip it. If they say "no", I point out that we'll do our best to avoid damage, but assume no responsibility. That usually works fine. Good Luck.

PS thinnner trimmer line will avoid damage (but you'll go through more of it). Also, make sure the line (whatever the gauge) is flexible (high polymer content). This makes all the difference in the world. A more flexible line is easier to work with, doesn't damage as much and it'll last you twice as long

[Edited by Jason Pallas on 02-12-2001 at 11:04 AM]

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Keep your blade sharp (string cut even) run high enough rpm's that you can tell where your tip is. I run my line a little longer so I only have to run the throttle at 1/3 to 1/2 and still have more actual cutting power at the blade tip. Also keep the throttle at a steady speed. I often see guys revving and letting off the throttle in strokes rather than running one nice, smooth, precise blade. When going around trees that are mounde around the base, start right up against the tree first, and go around the tree a few times, contouring by tilting the blade when you reach the concave part at the bottom. If you go around the tree making vertical strokes in and out from the tree, your trimming will look all choppy and won't have that smooth contoured look. Again, DO NOT knick into the trees, wooden fences, siding, or even wooden mailbox posts! This is the kind of thing that GETS us jobs and I warn people about in my sales pitch.

5. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

for the trimming near the fences

ROUNDUP!! :)

if your cust doesn't like chemicals: get out there with the scissors and charge accordingly. :)

like $500 / hr! lol

6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Runner makes a good point about RPMs. I "blip" the throttle so the Rpms spike and then fall off. This is much easier on the engine and seems to give a cleaner trim. Defintely keep that line long (as per manufactuer reccomendation). Big Mistake most of our new employees make - rev the thing like hell and go the wrong way with the trimmer - usally try to go against the direction of the spin of the head - much more control.

7. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Runner is right on the speed issue. Keep it steady and higher RPM's. It is centrifigul force that straightens out that trimmer line. The higher the RPM's the straighter the line will be and the more accurate and level your cut will be as well. Do not rev the motor while cutting.

Experience using your equipment is the main key to good an proper trimmer use. It's the main reason so many here on Lawnsite are so vocal about how their trimmer model is the best ever made. It is not so much the trimmer, but more like how well and maybe how easy they have learned how to use it as an extension of their arms.

I thought I was a God with a trimmer. People always commented me on how good I could use a trimmer by saying things like "It looks like you did not use a trimmer at all, looks like you mowed everything". After using the same trimmers for about 6 years, I switched to a different maker. I thought I was losing my touch. I had to relearn all over again! The biggest dificulty was the two trimmers both spun different directions, one clockwise the other counter clockwise. After a whole year of use with the new one, now I can go back and forth between the two with same great results.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Im greased lightening w a trimmer lol.B ut getting
    it even comparable to mowing is near impossible
    for me.

9. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Running the trimmer at higher rpm's will also help your engine run cleaner. As far as getting the knack for trimming evenly, it just takes practice going slower, then speed up a little at a time as you get better. Also, see if you are holding your trimmer in the most natural position you can. If you aren't it will tend to gravitate there as you get tired.

10. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

For me its all experiance....from the time i start the trimmer from the time i turn it off it is on full bore, like others said its centrifical force that keeps the trimmer going level...as far as bliping the trottle that is one of the worse mistakes anyone can make, newcomes comstantly let up on the trottle and it just makes u more likely to scalp the grass...depending on grass texture i try to have the longest length line i can, this allows me to trim a bigger area in less time, and also decreases the ammount of damage u will do to the turf or an object if your hands get a little shakey...my trimmer of chose would be the shindawia T-230. I know many guys dont approve of this practice but if your not a whimp and can stand getting pelted in the legs by stones then i would run with the gaurds off, it gives you much greatter visablity and makes the trimmer much more balanced...have also found that ajusting the handle closer to the motor evens the weight of the trimmer which will allow you to get a more even cut...thats about all the advice i can give u...u will know when u have mastered the craft when u reach for the whip in a small back yard instead or reaching for the 21 inch