This may be really nosey

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by forgop, Dec 3, 2004.

?

Income from mowing?

Poll closed Dec 10, 2004.
  1. 30-40k

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. 40-50k

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. 50-60k

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. 60-70k

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. 70k+

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  1. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

but I'm considering leaving the corporate life and starting my own lawn business to possibly include snow removal as I don't know what kind of living could be made on just cutting grass in the midwest. Anyway, I know there are a lot of variables out there, but I'm just trying to get an idea where a lot of people are at. Please answer if you currently employ yourself as I certainly wouldn't be at the point to have any help yet.

After working in a union environment, it would be a lot less stressful to me to do something like this. It's not to say that it's not going to be hard work and stress free, but something much more my style.

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Working for someone else is much more stressfree. Self employed has a lot more uncertainty and risk.

3. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

I have a gambeling problem :cool:

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what kind of gambling do you like?

5. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

there are a lot of risks in this business.what i would suggest is to go part time, and see if you really like it. this is a business of you either are born with a weedeater in your hands, or not. In my opinion, the money is good. read the posts here and learn what you can from us. no one's perfect, heck, we all started somewhere.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner :D

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm probably one of the best suited here to answer this thread.

I was the Director or Training for Hertz for many years. Throat cancer in 1993 forced me to leave my position (I was there 13 years) with a nice golden parachute from my former employer. Now, what to do next was the $64,000 question.

I always like mowing lawns and landscaping, so I thought I would try it full time. I started out small getting all my work through referrals (btw, that is how I still get new work today). As of today (11 years later), I have a decent-size business and get paid more than what your poll indicates. Hard work, willing to go the extra mile, some business savvy, it can be done. Ah, almost forgot, I am one of the oldest around here on LS being that I just turned 50 a couple of weeks ago.

Snow removal can be VERY profitable if you know how to price your jobs. I have 3 plow trucks and average $200 an hour per truck including travel time from job to job.

Feel free to send a pm or email rspronck@aol.com. Best of luck to you in your decision...

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I think what ricahrd said is right on. Maybe even go work for someone a bit. Pay will be low, but OJT can teach you a lot real fast. You may not like this biz and what will you do if you go out get a bunch of equip and then take a loss on selling it all when you find out it does not work? This site was actually connected to the SBA (small business administration) site http://www.myownbusiness.org/course_list.html might help you draw up a business plan which I would highly recommend to give you some framework. It's going to be a different world being in charge and responsible for everything both good and bad. Good luck to you. Ask as many questions here as you like. :waving:

8. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

bump to the top in case you missed it.

9. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

In this industry, where your located the potential is 100k plus ...easy I'm not saying you get to that point in one year but you have to be able to look @ things realistically ... it really depends on the person most people who start it learn that they don't like it and aren't making the money they expect but haven't put in enough time or have the amount of experience it takes to get the big bucks ...c