This might sound crazy....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dependable Mowing, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Dependable Mowing

Dependable Mowing LawnSite Member

I just bought a Quick 36 with the 13 hp Briggs Intek engine. The price and compactness sold me on it. I love the mower, and the engine is ok, but not nearly as smooth or quiet as my Kawasakis or Kohlers. However, I have a 14 hp Kawa that has barely been used and runs perfect. I'm almost certain that the mounting bolt pattern is the same (need to take a couple more measurements). I think you all get where I'm going with this.... Yes, this would probably void the warranty, but I think it would be worth it. The commercial warranty is only a year anyway. The muffler on the Kawa is mounted to the side, and would get in the way of the gas tank, but I could easily have a pipe welded to bring the muffler out front. I've swapped engines before, so it wouldn't be a problem for me if it can be mounted. So...what do you think?

2. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

go for it...if you feel you can swap the engines ok what do you have to lose?

3. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

i think ur nuts. keep the kawi for when the briggs goes belly up, AFTER the warranty is up

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Me too... I agree.

The noise issue is about the exhaust, not the engine.
    Invest in a bigger exhaust system that will work OK on that setup.

If you would have rather had the Kawi, why didn't you just get this one?

[​IMG]

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Me, three.
    B & S to a Kawi is comparing american to japanese, but it's not a bad engine...
    Don't void the warranty, you might regret to tell about it.

6. Dependable Mowing

Dependable Mowing LawnSite Member

I'm not nuts...just had an idea. As far as waiting for the Briggs to crap....well that may not happen for a long time, and all that time could be spent enjoying a better and more powerful engine. Then if the Kawa goes, I have a brand new briggs. I looked at the Quick with the Kawasaki, but it's 600 bucks more. For that price I could have a new Toro T-bar with the same engine. I really bought this mower as a specialty, and it won't be used nearly as much as the other mowers. It wasn't necessary to spend that money, and the briggs is a fine engine. I just realized today that I have a great engine that could make the mower better without costing me more than a few bucks and a couple hours. There's a lot to consider, and it's just an idea right now. I have considered a different muffler, and still may do that. For now, though, I will ponder in my sleep, and leave it be until I have time to deal with it. It's a bit late, and I have a huge week ahead.

7. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

This is what i would do if i thought another engine would do better and i wanted to swap. If you just got the unit in say april first that would out your warranty out april 1st of 07 why not wait till may of next year(if it is a year warranty) your not going to be cutting all winter unless your down south or you using it for clean ups. so why dont you check it over real good in the fall before you winterrise it, then if everything is in good shape( if not get everything you can fixed under warranty) then do a engine swap in the winter during your down time and when you start cutting in the spring it will have the engine you want,and you wont void your warranty. just an idea

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I would still suggest another exhaust can.
    You might even be able to salvage one in a mower boneyard off a lawn tractor or something.
    Might find one that will work on the engine and the application.