1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

This Months Interlocking Concrete Magazine (11/07)

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Nov 23, 2007.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

This months (11/07) ICPI magazine has alotta great design ideas! I will be keeping this issue for design ideas!

But on page 20 is a picture of a patio with a fire pit in the center.

I like this fire pit because it is metal. The pits made of concrete block scare the living daylights out of me. Concrete gets hot and pops apart.

Can anyone tell me who manufactures / where I can buy a metal or copper fire pit like the one on page 20 of this months ICPI magazine???
  2. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as you have an alluminum liner made you're okay. We've done them like that one in the magazine(recessed) and above ground (see pics below). Both work fine. We have a local guy that fabricates the liners for us, they are about $150.00 and we've never had an issue with fire getting too hot to cause block explosion.

I do agree with you that you have to be really careful with this. I have heard several horror stories.

Titus 1A.jpg

Titus 1B.jpg
  3. etwman

Here was one other that we did early this spring....aluminum liner by the same guy. We've built a few of these this year and have 2 more sold for next spring on projects. They are a hot item, but not cheap by any stretch of the means.

Light 1A.jpg
  4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Now ETW on those bench seats you do not do a overhang on the cap on the side you sit do you? I know my back does not have a notch in it for a peice of cap. I just can not look at that bench and say "Man i bet its comftable to sit there!"

Honestly, the workmanship looks great. I am just not sold on the fact that its a functional way to sit around a fire. Do the customers atleast add cushions or pillows?
  5. etwman

Most put a seat cushion most of the way around. I know two customers, when they bought their patio furniture, had custom bench pads made to match the rest of thier furniture.

Do the caps hang over? They do by about in inch. If they didn't it wouldn't look uniform with the rest of the project. I've sat around several pits and they didn't really bother my back. Most people don't sit around a fire for 6 hours either. For all the one's we've built we haven't had one complaint.
  6. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

How did you build them so tall. The first one is over 3 feet. Rebar inside ?
  7. etwman

You can go that high with coventry wall, I wouldn't go much higher, but its radial and 3/6" combination so its pretty strong. Lots of adhesives, lots of cuts....and lots of time. In addition, we did at some structural strengthening tactics in between the outside wall and inside sitting wall. That things isn't going anywhere.
  8. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Aluminum is no big deal. You can goto any good metal shop and have them shear you off a piece and they'll even tig weld it into a cylinder for you. 0.045 is good. If you plan on having a hot fire, (cooking or anything more than a few logs here and there) I'd use a piece of stainless steel instead. Also, I'd seal the caps around the fire pit with a satin finish water sealer. Block can explode if it contains any moisture. Keep the water out=safety precaution.
  9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

In the picture it kinda almost looks like they used a circular window well (which i know no such thing exists).

So know one knows of anyone that sells some pre-fabbed fire pits?
  10. Hokie84

Hokie84 LawnSite Member

It looks like it could be a section of culvert pipe.