This normal?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cat2, Jun 29, 2007.

1. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

HI. Just wondering if this is normal or not. On my bobcat I turn the key on everything lights up like it should. Then when I turn the key to start it the glow plug light comes on then when I let off of the key light goes off.:confused: Even if it just ran and shut off for 5 mins it will do the same thing.

2. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

What year and model Bobcat? Many older units have a manual start configuration where you can glow as long as you want, but later machines had timers. The newest Bobcats have a countdown timer. I have seen machines where the glow plug light comes on while running the starter, but no voltage was present to the glow plugs and also the plugs being activated on start. As long as your glow plugs aren't staying on you're fine. One Bobcat I had repaired had a bad glow plug relay and the owner used starting fluid to get it running. The flywheel teeth had been damaged from the kick each time the engine started.

3. cat2

from Mi

Its a 2007 s-160. thanks for the reply.

4. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

some machines activate the glow plugs between the "on" and "start" positions of the key switch. not sure if bobcat does this.

5. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry it took so long, I asked a friend with a rental yard and he says they the S130 loaders he has do that as well. Seems like normal behavior for the machines.

6. cat2

from Mi

Thanks alot. If theres anything I can do for you just yell:) :)