This one is for EVERYONE

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tim Canavan, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I have been on this site for quite awhile now and have never posted anything. I have read things that have made me mad and things that I have learned from. Now it's my turn.

I am getting more and more upset every year at the guy who doesn't collect taxes. Doesn't have insurance. Is not liscenced for anything and undercuts those of who are legal because he does not do any of these things.
    Does this bother any of you? Are you (we) going to continue to just turn our heads. This is taking away from why we work so hard. You know. Doing paperwork after we get done working outside. Actually taking the time to do things right. Things the "other guys" could care less about. Should we rat these people out, or is it just not worth it?
    Thanks for letting me rant.:)

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

i try to be friendly with folks. i see someone apply a pesticide product and i have no problem walking over to them to 'chat' - hey we're in the same line of work, surely we have things we can talk about? I will ask if they are licensed to apply these products. if they say no, i'll try to educate them AND i will get their name and phone number and give that to the pesticide bureau, they follow up with a letter telling them that they are in violation of the law and give them an application for a license.

i dont feel guilty about doing this

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

There is a place for these types. i give them the lawns i dont want. even know i did large home owners i still had my smaller lawns i started with, so i would get calls from the real Cheops and i would tell them to call this person. BUT if they tried to get in my area i would call everybody in state a Federal i could and have them crying. It did send a message to all scrubs. Try it you might like it!!
    John

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I agree with what you are saying, but I choose to stay out of other people's business. I would rather not get into a confrontation with anyone. I usually let people's shotty work run them outta business!

5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Ther will always be people like that around. They eventually run themselves out of business if they keep such low rates. Just keep doing quality work and charging accordingly, you'll find people that will pay for quality.

6. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

TSM - The problem isn't as much the guy spraying pesticide without a liscenceas long as he knows what he's doing. Don't get me wrong, he should have a liscence, but is he paying his taxes. As long as he isn't he is bringing your prices down because he isn't paying what you are.

John Gamba - There is no room for "these types" They keep the market down. If they weren't around then the cheapos as you put it would either not be cheap anymore or they would be mowing their own lawn. Who did you call anyway?

jajwrigh - I'm not saying to confront them. I do realize that they could and will eventually run themselves out of buisness, but as long as they are in buisness, they are hurting yours.

LB - We can do quality work, but no matter how you slice it, our buisness is affected by these people. People always want quality, but they want it cheap, too. These guys could be good at what they do, but that's not the point. What's right is right. If they weren't around...

7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I here you Tim, I (along with most everyone here) have struggled with it. All I can say is that there are customers that will pay for you. They are out there, it takes time but you'll find them. The type of people that will pay because they know you will take care of things and they won't have to worry that you might not show up this week, or that you will blow the clipings off the walks/drives so they don't get tracked into the house. When giving estimates I push the facts. i'll tell them right up front that I'm probably going to come in higher than some but, I am insured, I use commercial equipment, we are professional, won't be there one week and then not around for the next three. The list goes on, it comes down to selling yourself and company. One thing I have done this year is gotten a few customers to right out reference letters with phone numbers so they can be verified. I hear you its not right, just keep your head up!!!!!:D

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Not to be rude here, but didn't we just go through this in the Commercial Lawn Care forum with DFW last week?

9. kdmaint

kdmaint LawnSite Member

Ha tim i agree Ihave always had the right insurance luckley never had to use it but have it I know what your saying but in the long run thats what seperates the good from bad Ihave a friend in the lco with no insurance and he has more accounts then me and always tells me hes not geeting ins until he has to but hopefuly when he has to it will be to late and then i will have his customers us poeple who do things right will always finish on top some day

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct