1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

This one will crack you guys up!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Braveheart, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Beau Rivage

Beau Rivage LawnSite Member

Well, you were right....IT CRACKED ME UP!!!!!!! That's a great story.:laugh: The good news is it can only go up from here, right?:drinkup: A good sense of humor in invaluable in such situations and you seem to be blessed with one. I wish I was...Anyway...we learn by doing. Hang in there.

2. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

Kids these days.:dancing:

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Yup! Gotta hook up the trailer first or she'll go a flyin'!

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I learned how this works on a teeter-toter as a kid, but my memory went short and I slammed a trailer too. I had removed it to pull a small stump and then tried to drive the mower on before hooking the trailer back up to the truck.

5. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't have my trauiler hooked on right to my van, and i'll tell you what, exmark Ztr mowers are some heavey mother truckers.

6. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

I have a saying " Its not how bad you ****up Its how well you recover. How come you didnt use a chainsaw and cut it up?

7. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

they sell drug tests at walmart...lol

8. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

2 months ago i forgot to latch the bulldog hitch on my trailer around the ball. about a mile and a half i was coming out of a curve and hit a pothole an the trailer came off the ball. i wasnt so lucky though... next thing i know my truck shifted sideways, then shifted the other way then back again as the trailer was whipping it back and forth (THANK GOD FOR SAFETY CHAINS!). all of this was happening as a schoolbus was coming towards me but thank god the driver saw what was going on so he pullled over. i just took my foot off the gas and kept control (dont know how i did it). finally when i felt everything was slowed down enough i pressed the break and came to a stop. oh yea... forgot to mention the 2 large ditches on either side of the road. if my trailer would have whipped to the right first.... my trailer and truck would have ended up in the ditch... possibly overturned. luckily.... the only damage was that my 46 inch exmark bent my stihl polesaw (just the outer shaft) and my 66 inch exmark dented my fender's sheet metal, my tongue stand is bent back a little bit on top but is still operable and my truck bumper is dented because it jack knifed into the water cooler that i have mounted on the tongue of my trailer.... so nothing major.... it did cost me $50 for the polesaw shaft though...

from then on i check my hitch at least 3 times

9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

MuleCutter....the gods were smiling on you that day. I too have had s@@t happen to me, and it still does in spite of what I believe to be good safety habits aquired over the years. The one thing I do religiously if I am driving or riding in a rig with a trailer is do a complete walk around before I get in the tow rig....I do it every time without fail, it is now habit. Even if we go to lunch at some joint, when I come out I do a walk around....I run a medium duty truck and tow track hoes, back hoes, I pull horse trailers.....It really doesn't matter the size of the rig, but by my developing the anal habit of the walk around has been to my benefit. There is too much that just happens on its own. Glad to see you made it.....may the god's continue to just toy with us and continue to smile and not get too angry. Shiny side up, Rubber side down!:)

10. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

lol just read this. We have all had our bad days. I left a job with tractor on trailer, got back to the yard and realized that i never tied it down.:dizzy: nothing happened thank god. nothing but my first heart attack lol.

LAWNSITE PHOTO 2.jpg