This one's for Jim

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by txirrigation, Dec 5, 2011.

1. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Here are some locate pics. Could then be inserted into hack pics. They put two lawngenie valves in one 6" box. Pic was taken after leap frogging 2-3 of these manifolded lawngenie gems in 6" boxes.

We found the last two zone valves under the 521a box, again located in one 6" box. There was a lot of head scratching going on, and happened to be the reason I was on site. All the other valve boxes had been 30-40 ft. apart.

Jareds pics 003.jpg

Jareds pics 004.jpg

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

sweet, the 521a is a good machine, i like the older 521's myself but then again, i don't have a 521a.

it's funny how good it feels when a job comes together. nice work :)

3. txirrigation

from Texas

Two days ago we used the 521a to find a broken wire in a low voltage lighting application. All the wire/ lights were set in mortar, or under lueders (large stone blocks).

The locate saved tearing up all the lueders to find the break. Located the break down to the inch, popped out out lueder (75lbs) fixed the wire, and done.

I just happened to be on site when the contractor was there about to start tearing everything out. I offered to give it a try, and it turned out nicely. I do a lot of work for the contractor so there was no charge, but it gaurenteed work for a long time.

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Hey this is for jim!

The bossman and I are going to cut it up in a few days.

I found that some peoples homeowners insurance will cover everything except for the repair itself. Now I don't feel so bad about the pricing and now gives me more time to find the leak.

This one sucked because
    #1 I found a leak already 30' from the meter and repaired it- find out there is another leak
    #2 75% of the water line was under the driveway
    #3 The power line was in the exact same trench and even touching the water line- throughout most of the driveway every 30 seconds or so for 5-30 seconds all I would hear was Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

IMAG0208.jpg

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

if you were running a compressor, even hundreds of feet away mitch, that may be the buzzzzzzz.

whooshing and purging noise is the water flushing from the line, small holes sometimes open up on pressure increases. air compress's you know.

you will do fine so we want all the pics we can get of your find.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, a compressor will find most leaks, with the water added. It's the noise that Jim describes. Walking the area, one will hear the sound, what you want to do at that point, is blow the break out of the ground and have the air bubbles/water surface.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Crank it up to 11!!!!

8. Mike Leary

Stand back! I've told clients either I'll blow this leak (not my install) out of the ground with my compressor, call a very expensive leak detection service, or start over.

9. txirrigation

from Texas

Here are some more locating pics from today. I do work for a guy that flips houses, and we were getting his system up and running. 4 of 6 zones had wire breaks because the origonal installer did not leave slack. Last pic was the hardest locate... could also be in the hack thread. Also notice the heads in the masonary work, and all the risers.... I HATE risers.

11-6-2011 010.jpg

11-6-2011 011.jpg

11-6-2011 008.jpg

10. Mike Leary

Those are damn crazy mama pics. :hammerhead: