This ones for you Switchless (modified Hustler)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Mar 29, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hey Pete you'd love this one!
    It's my friend's 48" Hustler with 17hp Kaw V twin, Velke X2 sulky, debris bag, cupholder, slope indicator (mounted to cupholder), Walker lug tires, smaller spindle pulleys (boosts speed to 18,000 FPM tip speed), and as of yesterday night an OCDC (that I made for it).

I think the H bar controls are just alittle bit overrated although I do like them my problem with them is that you have to slow down alot to do a true zero turn and above that speed you can only turn like a garden tractor or tear up the ground locking it up completely (I try to avoid). Other than that it's a sweet machine. These tires take it places I wouldn't dream of putting my Scag with turf tires.

It's cut and stripe on my not quite fully growing grass:

mar29181.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Closer up

OCDC closed

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

oops

mar29180.jpg

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

semi open (locks in any position from open to closed anywhere in between)

mar29183.jpg

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

open. I made it with 3/16" thick steel plate and angle iron because after I saw the original chute which was pretty heavy duty, I decided I needed something his crew couldn't demolish! I repeatedly ran it into a wooden fencepost at full speed in the open position with no damage done.

mar29184.jpg

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

The controls. The turn to lock cable is on the right of the control panel. I only needed to drill one hole (in the deck). You can see the level indicator on the cupholder at left.

mar29182.jpg

7. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

how much does that machine cost???

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nice unit.

Not too crazy though about those tires, Eric. Can really see some damage done to turf no matter how careful you are. I think those tires would give you a false impression of where you can go...like thinking you had 4-wheel drive or something.

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I don't know on price.
    It's not mine but the guy that owns it got those tires for holding on hills. It's definately not a false impression, I took it places through mud I would get hung up with my Scag w/ turf tires. and I was on the sulky too. It is a brute. The controls take some getting used to but you have to approach them differently than regular controls you have to kind of erase that kind of thinking. IMO you are not any more likely to tear the yard up with these than turfs because they won't spin out. I know if you do spin them out they would but thats operator error. He only uses it for hills where his rider won't go (mostly) so that is why he got these tires.

10. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric
    Your OCDC looks great but does it flip up any higher seems you could catch it on stuff if you were not paying attention. Where did you pick up the T handle cable for controlling it.