this otta be good

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bare spot, Apr 6, 2008.

1. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

converting a trimmer from a loop handle to a bike handle, anyone ever consider this, think or even do. if so what happened?,,, did just end up going out and buying new one? gave a thought to this the other day when looking at an attachment that would work better with a bike handle and me having the loop i'll miss out on. idk, it's got to be pretty involved and not just a quick change if even poss, but just a thought, haven't really looked into any further and now that things are picking up with season starting will most likely move on from idea but just wondering if anyone else has looked into this, or even maybe pulled it off. thanks
  2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Depends on the trimmer. Some trimmers offer a kit to change it over.

Remember that you need a different throttle cable that attaches to the bike handle.

Call your local dealer and ask if there is a kit for your unit.
  3. bare spot

right, was thinking stih. mention what was thinking other day at one of dealers but guy was headed to lunch so didn't go into details any. the kit sounds like might be worth looking into, like that idea and hope they have one, sawman, thanks, much appreciated
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you are referring to the two handlebar set up, I sure wouldn't bother for normal mowing operations. They are a hindrance. Now, if you are just talking about ONE bar coming out the side, in place of the loop, that is a different story. The offset is actually better, because you are not bending and crossing over so much. Another idea (and we have discussed this before on here) I have, is a handle that attaches to the trimmer where the throttle handle is. This handle is more like the adjustable handle on the backpack blowers. This way, instead of having your hand and wrist curled under toward he pinky finger side of your hand (hold your trimmer in the use position, you'll see what I mean), this handle would allow you to have your wrist straight - wit the trajectory of your arm as it angles down while holding the trimmer.
  5. bare spot

mentioned the switch to dealer today and gave me idea of cost. other suggestion was to go with some parts off some older trimmers he had, tell ya like sound of this idea. only thing is how much time will it take to switch back again, still will want to use way it is for an attachment or two but it can't be that long to switch back and do got a bike handle. and runner, wanted to say thanks, bar handles (w/loop) are nice, looked at one, had forgot about them. have never used on a trimmer set up with them yet but can see where that would be of great benefit, especially this app. and do like the other, again thanks.