This Question Never Ceases to Amaze Me...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by HOOLIE, Mar 3, 2007.

1. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure many of you are hiring or looking to hire now...myself I'm looking for one or possibly two employees. It still amazes me how many prospective job applicants will just straight out ask 'how do you pay?' Translation= "Do you pay cash under the table?"

The latest guy to ask this question, I told him "in Canadian dollars" to which he replied "Huh???"

I guess I just couldn't imagine asking my possibly future boss if he violates certain laws...

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My guys have always beeen just the opposite. They want a payroll check with itemized deductions to verify employment when going for car loans, mortgages, etc.

3. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

The last full time guy I hired wanted to make sure it was on the books so He could get his un-employmet when he refused to come in to plow durring the winter. He got it, gotta love the state, nothing like busting your butt (I had plenty of work at times) knowing that your paying for someone to sit at home.

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Now some have asked that question simply trying to find out if we pay weekly or every other week. We pay our people weekly. The guy right down the street from us pays his guys every other week.

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

lol

should have told him, "mexican pesos"

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe he should take the Canadian dollars they'll be worth more soon:confused: :canadaflag:

7. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

There's a large company by me that pays employees under the table the first year they work there

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, dear...

Maybe take these guys the same way I pre-screen customers, look at these comments as their way of making your job easy, now you already know you can move along, realizing that you will likely have to interview 10 prospects for every permanent employee you end up with.

The only other thing I can think, and I don't mean it in a bad way, but is there anything about the way you run your operation that might give away the hint that you don't always play clean? I'm no better than you or anybody else here, but perhaps a quick review of your methods might reveal one or two things that could use improving, and this would likely help in the long run, other than you have to lead by example and do so by doing your utmost to always play it straight, no funny business (well it helps).

But yes, it does amaze me, the nerve and the sheer number of folks who just come right up to the owner saying crap like that.
    Which is to say I know exactly what you speak of :laugh:

Peace

9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell them u pay by the 6 pack, then show them the door courtesy of your size 14 boot:clapping:
    Perspective employees that ask questions like that give us a loud hint of whats to come if we did try them.

10. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL this happened to me last week. After the interview, he asked me if I take out taxes. I said yes, he looked kind of bummed out about that.

BTW - he didn't get the job.

Word of advice to people looking for a job with me. Put out the cigarette and don't have a tattoo ON YOUR FACE!!!