This season is off to a bad start!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landscaper22, Mar 24, 2008.

1. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I can't believe it. I lost one customer last week and another today, any may lose another soon. I had a feeling the one last week was coming. She told me about 3 weeks ago that she had lost so much money in investments that she may have to sell her home. This was a good customer. She had been a customer of mine for about 4 years. Always had extra stuff for me to do, and always paid on time. So, she called last week and said she was moving and that was it....Not I am going to put my house on the market. It wasn't even on the market yet. Just said, I am moving and the house is sold.

Another one called today...And I really got a little upset with her. She said, send me a bill for what I owe you, I will not need you any longer. Me: Is it something I have done wrong, or not done? Her: No, you have done a great job, and you are a very nice guy, but I have found someone that will do everything I need done for one price. Me: I can do anything you need done for one price. But when I gave you a price, you only wanted a price for basic mowing service. You told me that when you wanted extra work such as shrub pruning completed you would let me know and that I could charge more for the additional work. Her: Oh, well, maybe I did say that. But I have already hired this other guy.... And everything else she said went in one ear and out the other.
    And I am positive one of her neighbors will drop me too. Because whatever one does the other will do as well. I bet they hold hands and use the restroom together too. Now I am only charging these customers my minimum. Actually less, only $25 each per cut. I know I preach against this, but this was one of those cases where I have 4 postage stamp size lawns without moving my truck. So, I really come out fairly good. So I wonder if this other LCO is going to undercut my already very low price, or if something else is wrong? I am mad right now. I don't really know why. I mean customers come and go, and I usually don't let it bother me. But some of them give such dumb reasons, and I just wish they would tell me the truth. Anyone else having a bad start to the season like me? Sorry, just had to vent. :dizzy:

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Another day !! We lose some we gain some!

3. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

sounds like she found someone she knows personally. People are weird like that.

Good luck and keep truckin

4. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, like I said, stuff like this usually does not bother me. I guess it is just one of those days. Just letting out some of the steam from this wonderful day I am having. I just don't like irritating people.

5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I would not worry to much. I lose 2 or 3 a year to moving or death but gain 7 - 10 new ones.

Around here I still have 2-3 weeks before people start to seriously look.

6. Reassurance Property

Reassurance Property LawnSite Member

I lost a neighborhood once because on guy (client A) got mad at a slight price increase. The others kept me for about 2 months after he did, and then one day they all said they are going to go with a different guy that client (A) found. I asked why and all they could say was "we all like to use the same person" Lame!!! I should have known because i had to get them "all to sign" up before they would all sign up! Don't worry, plenty of lawns out there.

7. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

The hell with them.

It's just a part of the business.

View it as an opportunity to improve the quality of your customer base.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Forgive and forget - get more new customers and you will forget these types of people.

At least your season has started:) Still snow on the ground here - I can't see putting on 1st round of fert until end of April at this pace.

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

things like that can piss you off, especially when you take pride in your work and pride your self on honest business. but, look past it and know that more work is always there, mos tof the time when i lose a customer, a better one comes right along. good luck

10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

You sound like a guy who's got it together. You're noticing disturbing trends.

My humble opinion if for you to diversify. I can't say this often enough and offering different services will allow you to get through tough times and keep profits up.

If you're interested, pm me, I'll offer advice on what we'ver done.

Good luck.

:)