1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

This Stinks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 10, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

So I am missing another days work of doing leaf clean ups. This is really putting me behind schedule.

In a nutshell, I dropped off my truck at the dealership yesterday at about 2pm to get the oil change and replace the fuel line (it had a hole in it). I was told that the fuel line would only take about an hour. So at about 4pm after waiting in the waiting room I asked about the progress. Well, they were still taking off the old fuel line, they were having problems getting it off. So I said fine, someone take me home, and then I will pick up later.

So the guy dropped me off at my house and I figured that it would be done around 5:30 to 6pm. WRONG!!! I get a phone call at about 5pm, well, we have to take the transmission off. WHAT!!! They said that they are going to keep it over night and work on it in the morning.

So they start work on vehicles usually around 7:30 to 8am in the morning. I decided to get some beauty sleep and just sleep in. Finally at about 11:30am I call them to check up on the progress because I am trying to figure out the schedule for the rest of the day.

Well, they took me that they are still putting it back together and it won't probably be done until 3 to 4pm. There goes my day.

But listen to this...I was quoted that this job was only going to take an hour. So they are going to be eating this cost big. I went and asked shop manager over the phone last night what the cost was going to be, and he said since they quoted an hour, that they are only going to charge for 3 hours of labor even though its going to take 10+hrs.
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Something isn't right. Fuel lines don't take 10+ hours to change. they quoted you an hour, I'd only pay one hour.

Don't feel bad my rear end went out on my truck 2 days ago, don't know when i'll get it back.lol Don't know how much its going to cost either. I'm glad i'm only doing clean-ups now and not snow removal.
  3. tiedeman

from earth

that is true. I was afraid that we were going to get sleet/snow last night so I might have to salt this morning, but lucky we didn't.
  4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

One of my 72" BAD BOY mower engine froze up yesterday and that will take a week or two. Lucky we got a new Caterpillar diesel last week on a 60" BAD BOY.
  5. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Ohhhhhhh shiznet for you!

Went thru the same thing a few weeks ago. No truck one week. $2 grand.

Ouch again.

I rode my mower to my accts/ used the honda like a sca-rub too, but got it done.
  6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

You should get the work done for one hour. They look in their book or on the computer and everything has a time amount that they price by. If you were quoted 1 hour work 60/75/90 however much it is, thats how much it should be.

If they had troubles doing something and took alot longer, thats not your fault thats the tech's fault. I'd pay 1 hour and threaten to charge them for the delay :D
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

This is a good thread for all the guys that want to know why we need new trucks and the expense of owning a new truck.
    Pay a little each month for a new truck or pay a little each month to keep an older one running. It all equels out over time
  8. tiedeman

from earth

I totally agree with you Mac. I was waiting until this spring to get a new one, but the last 2 years this truck is nickel and diming me. I have paid out approx $3,500 in the last 2 years in repairs alone.

Thats not cutting the amount of business or money that I lost too
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

They really got you anymore Troy, You can't work on a newer truck one thats been built since the late 70s with out a fortune in diagnosis equipment and a lot of knowledge about computers. And if your fortunate enough to be able to work on your truck who the heck wants to after working all day and then coming home and turning wrenches so you can start over the next morning.
    Warranties - Drop truck off pick up loaner truck, next day reverse procedure:)
  10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. My truck is starting to nickle and dime me, which I didn't fully mind, the truck is easy to work on (96 f250 with powerstroke) so I never was delayed by it, but now the transmission is going. Weighed the options, 3000 for a new trans vs buy a new truck. This one will last until spring, but I already checked out a new chevy, 620 a month hurts alittle but it'll be nice having a warrenty.