This stupid Fb460v!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TheSandman, Jan 23, 2014.

1. TheSandman

TheSandman LawnSite Member

Well, got a 48 exmark walk behind from a buddy of mine for $75. his parents wanted it gone to say the least. motor did run this summer just was very hard to get started. over winter break from college i tried to get it running. it gets spark (checked with spark tester), its getting fuel. the choke closes all the way. but even with starting fluid it won't start. i took the bottom end apart to try and find out what was wrong. valves didn't look bad. timing was still right on, and piston was fine. i have a video of the valves working. Checked the springs briefly and they looked fine. can anyone help me out pls? was looking at getting a fb540 motor with an electric clutch but then id have to add a battery to my mower and all that bs...http://s715.photobucket.com/user/parsands/media/MOV_2627MOV.mp4.html
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. adgaryc

adgaryc LawnSite Member

Recheck your wiring. May have a dead short someplace grounding it.

3. TheSandman

I have. It's just one simple wire to the control unit on the side. It was originally outfitted to be an electric start motor, but I just switched the top of it to a pull start. All the bolts matched up and it worked fine this summer. Could it be a bad magnet maybe?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Did you check compression before you took it apart?

5. TheSandman

Didn't. It seemed to have good compression when I would slowly pull the pull cord. You could feel the combustion stroke pretty good
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. adgaryc

adgaryc LawnSite Member

Could b. The last X Mark I worked on(shade tree), I did everything I could think of, including magnets. Never got it to run with power. A real mechanic then took it for a week and never solved it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Could it be as simple as the spark plug being bad? I watched the video seem that the valve timing is ok. I don't see how it wouldn't have started with fluid unless there is an obstruction in the intake? Even with lower compression it would have started IMO.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Did you check valve setting? Tips of valve has to be ground to get a clearance.

9. TheSandman

I didn't check that. Spark plug is fairly new and I lightly sanded the magneto to make sure. How do I check the valve clearance?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member