This stupid Fb460v!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TheSandman, Jan 23, 2014.

1. TheSandman

TheSandman LawnSite Member

gottcha. just ordered my tester and feeler gauge on amazon prime. will report back with some findings!

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you test the igniter module? You can still have spark with a bad one just not intense enough to fire.

3. TheSandman

Didn't check that yet. Got my compression tester in yesterday and I'm getting 60 pounds. Pretty sure that isn't enough correct?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Used a new head gasket and cleaned both surfaces? Torqued the head correctly?

5. heritage

Correct. You need 100+ Did you have throttle wide open and squirt a couple cc's of 2 stroke oil in the cylinder before the test?

If still does not go up after that I suspect the valves are not seating and should be lapped, check lash clearance as valve seat wear will take up some of it and file/grind as needed to valve stem to correct. OR replace valve(s), lap, check lash and reassemble. Test.

I loved those motors, and only issues I had over the years was Valve wear, Igniters and keeping cooling fins and carbs clean. Used Shell Rotella 15w/40 all months except last cool month....then syn blend 10w/30.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And why couldn't it be rings?

7. heritage

It could..............

8. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

putting some oil in the cylinder and the test still comes back low, rules out the likely hood of rings.

9. TheSandman

Okay, i will try to put oil into the cylinder this coming weekend when i go home from school!

10. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

I see this project is not having a near ending in sight.
    Ok before we go to next step did you check if your flywheel is seated and torque to specs.:waving:

image.jpg