1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

This sucks...JD went from 36 hrs to 108 hrs instantly.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by instyle, Sep 6, 2006.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I have a couple of JD QuikTraks, on the one machine, the battery died, so I boosted it with the other machine. Both machines have around 36 hours on them. The machine that I boosted now is reading 108 hours.
    I will be taking the machine to get looked at, but how am I going to prove it only has 36 hours. that is a fairly large depreciation loss right there.
  2. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

are a crock of poop. I've seen all the tricks. Just go buy another hour meter and hook it up to a battery till it gets to where it was before.

Nothing i haven't seen before.
  3. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a quik trak from the JD dealer last year with something like 25 hrs on it. I had it home for a couple of weeks and put a few hours on it. The next time I went to use it it had around 50 something hours. My kids were playing with it and left the key in the switch and turned on. I now put the key in a safe place but mine is showing just over 70 hrs thanks to what happened.
  4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Hour meters are cheap. Buy a new one and put it in. Poof, you now have a new machine.
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Hour meters are prone to having problems and failing. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it because you might replace this one and then have the replacement meter go dead not long after.
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

get a tiny tach. I put them on all my stuff now. 35 bucks, accuate, and has RPM when running. hours when not.
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I think the newer ones even have an oil change reminder....

a couple times a year we end up with dead batty and high hour meter readings as a result of the key being left on... S happens....