1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

this sucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slclawn, Apr 20, 2007.

1. slclawn

slclawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

A factory called me and wanted a estimate well i gave them one. Told them if it was accepted in thirty days i would roll the lawn for free. Well they call me on the thirtieth day and say its a go and i roll the lawn three days later. Four days after i roll it the guy that did it last year shows up and mows and then goes in side. Talks to them and they tell him that i am doing it well i guess he begs pretty good cause they called me and told me that even though he had screwed up in the past they would give him another chance. I said OK well i will bring you the bill for the lawn rolling and if you guys need anything let me know. Just off the phone make the bill out take it to them they apologize for the problem. To me thats bad business and make me mad to think about it. Lesson i will be getting contracts for all my commercial property's. Has any one ever had something like this happen to them if so what did you do.
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems to me the other LCO came down in price ALOT.. I would have been pissed.. I hope you jacked your rolling price way way up...
  3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I havent but I would jack up that lawn rolling bill so high their heads would spin when they open the invoice.
  4. slclawn

slclawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

I thought about charging the cpar out of them but that would have been wrong for me to do at least i kept my kool to there faces. I did charge them more than if they were a normal customer. Know i wish i would not have told them to give me a call if he skrewed up but if they do call the price will go up or i might have to many lawns already.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh no, when I give an estimate I want a yes or a no right then and there...
    I don't tell them this, but that's my fee for the estimate, see it's not really free.

I'm spending my time going out there on my own cost, using my knowledge and experience to give them at least a ballpark figure.
    They can use that figure for anything they wish, and it's like shopping, but shop around too long and ooops the deal sold out.

Yup, customer decides yay or nay, and if it's anything but a definite yes then the default is no, right then and there (or whenever I speak to them, in the case of a message / answering machine, 24 hours or so). Maybe 1-2 days at most, but no 2 week or any other kind of waiting period, a few days awrite but I refuse to be at someone else's mercy because I am not their employee, much as I'm sure they would love that.
  6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

See your not a good ol boy so the other lco Went in the business , rubbed the guys nuts like a good ole boy does an you got shafted ! thats why if ya plan on staying in this business go see a Business lawyer an let him draw you up a contract! That way when the good ole boy comes back he dont rub your nutts the wrong way again!! see ya George
  7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Clearly, the other guy lowered the price way down. IMO, it was pretty sh!tty of them to back out of the deal though.

A similar situation did happen to me a few years ago, on a residential lawn. It was a neighbor of a current customer, asked for a price on weekly mowing, I think it was $30 if I remember correctly. She says something to the extent of "oh that sounds fine, please do mine next time your here" I take down the info and everything was a go. To make a long story shot, between then, and the time of the first cut, she 'hired' the neighbor kid to do it, consideribly cheaper of course. I didn't argue, just let it go. I do howeve get many of the "extras" for that account becasue the neighbor boy doesn't have the knowledge or equiptment to do it. Naturally, the price for all the extra servcies is rather high.
  8. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

You "rolled" a comm. property?? It must have been a unique situation, but I can't imagine selling that type of service to comm. clients. I would ask bluntly what the situation is.... Is it price? Quality? Customer service? I wouldn't be shy about questioning their reasons. Something changed that you couldn't control, and it isn't unreasonable to ask what that something is. As for contracts, they're nice, they're advantages, but they're all disputable. Sometimes, right or wrong, it's better to walk away.
  9. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Live for another day. handleit with dignity and pride. They will call u back when that guy screws up. They will remember your attitude through all of this.
  10. slclawn

slclawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

Well they sent a check for half the bill i thought it was a mistake so i went and showed them the bill and check. They said that they felt that what they paid was fare and that my charges for the rolling where to high. Well i charged almost double what i would have to mow the property for the rolling but it made me mad that she was trying to tell me what to charge i still am not sure what to do. Its not a lot of money but they should not be alowed to treat people this way makes me mad talking about it.:mad: :mad: :mad: