This summer sucks

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snowjeep, Aug 15, 2007.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I started last fall with 5 accounts, grew to 18 accounts with 3 being commercial. Thought I was on track until snow plowing season. Then this drought in WNY and everywhere I guess. So today I go out and cut 5 lawns and home by noon. The problem is I drove all 3 of my routes and could only cut 5 lawns because of lack of water. Looks like its time for a part time job. Sorry guys needed to vent.

2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Its OK to vent ,dont let it get to you. We all go thru this sooner or later with the drought conditions .I am praying a tropical storm will come up the cost line and rain for a week straight. Who knows maybe will get tons of snow this season. The rain will come around again it always does. Next year it will probably rain to much LOL.

3. KeepOnCuttin

KeepOnCuttin LawnSite Member

It's been said a hundred times.....you have to find other forms of work besides just mowing. A good portion of the mid-east has been extremely dry this summer. Just last week I put out about 125 flyers to homes that really need shrub trimming or bed cleanups, and I haven't got a call yet :sleeping: It's frustrating...but if you want to work there's something to be done.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Exactly!!!!!

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

WOW, dont any of your customers care about there lawn's ?

most of mine all have sprinkler systems.

maybe you could try to sell them one

6. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

You're in Texas, a different climate.

For most people in New York or much of the north east sprinkler systems are an extravagance.

I don't service a single account with a sprinkler system or irrigation. The only ones I see here are in really really upscale subdivisions or on commercial landscape and even then I'd say it's a 10:1 ratio of those without to those with watering systems.

7. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

They don't do any good when the city will fine you for using it.

8. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever tried driveway sealcoating we have done 7 driveways and 13 more to do yet. Good little extra money :drinkup:

9. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I've always said that a persons business should be operated like their 401K account, it needs to be diversified.

You wouldn't put all of your money into just one mutual fund and hope for the best would you? So why would you create a business that operates on the same principle.

If a business is going to be sucessfull it will need to be able to survive both feast and famine situations. The more services you can offer to a client the more diversified your business becomes and the more income it can generate.

The more businesses you own the more diversified you are as a business owner. If one business is struggling to perform then income would still be generated off the other businesses.

10. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

What kind of driveways do you sealcoat?