1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

This takes the cake......(long vent)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Apr 26, 2006.

1. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

Nope! Enough of you folks already read the poor guys sob story. I was just offerring some sound generic advice. Big day of mowing today, sorry!

2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I was looking at it more as a risk issue here. I'm sorry but I could not watch some kid risk his life or someones else with a piece of equipment. Would you want this kid flying around your neighborhood around your kids??? I do not.

I wouldn't want to be the one after the fact saying should of, could of....didn't!

kc

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First, no one is going to say anything about a 10 year old on dad's riding mower. Second, the flyer thing COULD backfire on you if Opey's dad or uncle answers the call. Third, are there any other neighborhoods to work?

4. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

I just cant believe you didnt undercut his price!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

My main point is, another reason I got rid of all residential work.

Other than that, where were you putting your flyers so that he could mulch them up??

Were they in between the screen door and front door?? Were they just sitting on the grass?? Did the kid just go grab them all, and then take them to an empty lot and drive over the whole stack??

There's some things to this post that don't quite add up for me.

6. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

Its not something I personally like to see, but on the other hand, the ultimate responsibility falls on his parents. If the parents let him run around like that, I doubt you change the situation by stepping in. The end result could really backfire on you due to the perception that you are looking out for your best interest and not the kids. I grew up working on a farm. At 10 I was handling bigger equipment than a ZTR, albeit under close supervision.

7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I believe THIS happens alot on this websight. You can usually tell immaturity from professional. :usflag:

8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

one bottle of my beer at the bar costs me more then his price to mow

9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

well today i see him again, and now he has a tow behind cart for all his equipment. im also thinking of applying my Chicago friend's negotiation skills he taught me to make the kid see my point of view :rolleyes:

10. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

You know you could always just hire him for 5 bucks a pop. Thats some cheap labor!!