1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

This time not adding the Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by OrangeToys, Jan 26, 2010.

1. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought mulch helped plants even after it lost its color? It is organic so it should help the plants. Only reason I would remove mulch would be if it had a fungus growing on it or if they wanted turf or something besides mulch.
  2. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Well almost, but I don't see any Rock or rubber mulch decomposing in my area or contributing to plant health. However, organic type mulches do generally break down and adds nutrients & organic material to the soil that supports microorganisms that improves soil structure.

Also, it controls water loss by evaporation, suppresses weed seed germination, improves soil surface tension to better allow for absorption, controls soil temperature which can add to plant stress and slows erosion. On top of all that it adds beauty to the landscape.

For all the above reasons I hate rock that's used as mulch for plants. The day it's put in, is the best it will ever look! It sinks, traps organic material within it's spaces, holds water underneath which weed seeds just love and is hard to maintain (to keep out of the grass areas). It doesn't have any plant benefits, it's heavy and it a real PITA to take out years later.

Lastly, it offers no annual renewal income to replace, is a liability when it takes flight and IMHO it's fugly.
  3. Jim Bo

Jim Bo LawnSite Member

Man you nailed that one on the head !
  4. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, Jim Bo.

Come to think of it, what I kind of did was list some selling points for Mulch to your clients. Oh well, feel free to copy. :drinkup:
  5. glaciator

glaciator LawnSite Member

I agree mulch is great for the soil, is more aesthetic than rock, and has soil temperature and moisture regluating capabilities. I use it when I can. However, here in Colorado we have something called wind. Mix wind with very dry conditions, and that wood mulch can easily end up in Kansas. So, I have to be careful when using wood mulch in certain exposures. When I have to, I like to break up large expanses with a mixture of 2-4" and 5-12" cobble in some areas, then 1 1/2" river rock in others, and then wood mulch in others. That way there isn't a "sea" of 1 1/2" river rock everywhere. I HATE THAT!

Anyway, good question and great link Barry!