this tree stinks...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Scag52inch, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Scag52inch

Scag52inch LawnSite Member

Last fall I got the job of taking care of the Public Library here in my town. No big deal a one time mulching and trimming shrubs few times a year. Well the first thing I noticed when I got there was that this was the place where all the homeless people in town hang out. I also noticed a strong...STRONG oder!
    I thought it was the homeless people sitting on the benches at first untill I started raking under this tree.It is about 15 feet tall and leaves with kind of wierd shape. Last fall when I was there most of its fruit had fallen off,it was pinkish round and it STUNK! Does anyone know what kind of tree it is? I know a little about trees but don't think I have ever dealt with this one before.

P.S. it was so bad that before I left one of the bums complained to me about it LOL.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Here the smelliest thing we have is sweet acacia which I'm sure you don't have there. Can you post a pic of the fruit? That will really help narrow it down, or possibbly a leaf? May try checking your cooperative extension site and see if they have an ID key.

3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Sounds like a female Ginkgo biloba ( Maidenhair Tree )

Are the leaves are fan shaped?

:blob4:

4. Scag52inch

Scag52inch LawnSite Member

yes i believe the leaves were fan shaped. sounds like not the best kind of tree to plant around such a public place!

5. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe they planted it there to try and keep the "bums" and "homeless" people away from the library... but if they stink worse than the tree, the tree might get up and move.

6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

The Ginkgo is a nice tree with a very nice yellow fall color

The Problem is someone planted females instead of male Ginkgos.

The nurseries around here will not sell the female,unless it is a special order.

:D

7. bonerigo.1

bonerigo.1 LawnSite Member

Yea, Its a Gingko. The oldest tree species that is still living. These trees were around when there were dinosaurs. The smell is similar to rotting flesh and is just rotting fruit. Pretty cool.

8. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

Its a Ginko FEMALE STINKS!!!!!1