This wall has problems.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Lawnut101, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone see anything super obvious that's wrong with the work? I noticed that 1: The walls are way too close together for a multi tier 2: The client says geogrid was used the second time after it fell over the first time (but how is that possible) 3: He said no drain tile was used, but they did backfill with clear stone 4: Client says no course was buried, so the first course is at ground level.

Am I missing anything else major that should be fixed? I'm thinking of I do everything correctly and move the walls out so that they are further apart, that should fix most of the issue.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Lawnut101

Here is a pic

20131004_101736_resized.jpg

3. Lawnut101

Here is another pic

20131004_102021_resized.jpg

4. Lawnut101

And another pic

20131004_102003_resized.jpg

5. Lawnut101

A pic from the front

20131004_101703_resized_1.jpg

6. Lawnut101

I have more pics if anyone needs to see anymore. Let me know if you have any advice for me. I didn't build this wall, and I'm not sure who did. But I'd like to fix it for the client.

7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

My .02, The base stone and base of the stone wall is not substantial enough. All of the weight of the upper walls is pushing down and away, the soil in the lower ones (hence the bowing). Your going to need some serious compaction under the new walls with a deep base of aggregate stone compacted very well in layers. Geogrid would't make a hill of beans difference in these walls if the base is too thin. The whole aggregate of soil (geogrid and and all) is moving forward.

8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be concerned about the whole thing coming down when the bottom wall is removed.

9. Lawnut101

I was thinking the same thing. This job just kinda sucks all the way around. Everything has to be brought in by hand, I it's right next to a lake. The bottom 2 walls have been rebuilt, but I'm not sure if the upper wall was installed, or if it was done later.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, now what?

Looks like a home owner did the job. These things happen. Common here in the United States.
    Posted via Mobile Device