1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

This was the first for me...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by red12, Jul 3, 2009.

1. red12

red12 LawnSite Member

Well my wife cousin is out of town and wanted me to cut there grass so it wasnt so long. So I get into the subdivision and I see these to guys cutting grass at the beginning of the sub they was just finishing up and every thing. Get out of the truck start trimming and they go out of there way to check me out and see who I am I just thought that was kinda weird like I was taking there work away from them or something. Im shere you all have had this happen it was just the first for me.
  2. lawnfreak09

lawnfreak09 LawnSite Member

If i see somone i dont know i will go and check them out. i just like to know who is doing work in my area. But one thing i never could figure out was why people will give you dirty looks. Like they HATE YOU because you are in the industry to. Never got into that. I just like to be in the know.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I just don't care.

As soon as I start worrying about the other guys, then my work starts to suffer. So when people look at me, I just don't care.
  4. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Ummmmmmmm.... Okay? Not that weird
  5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Is a wife cousin similar to a babymama?
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I thought having a "wife cousin" was more of an Arkansas thing...

I always check out the competition as I'm working near them. I'm always curious as to what machines they use, what condition they keep things in. How good of a job they are doing. I always welcome others do check me out too. I keep a nice rig, everything neet and orginized, and everything I have is thought out. I do damn good work too. So if they want to look, I just hope they are jealous, lol.
  7. VirginiaLawnCare

VirginiaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I had something like that happen to me yesterday i was just out cutting and I look over and there is another lawn service sitting in front of the house next to the one I am cutting. At first i thought they were going to give the neighbor a estimate but there were staring directly at me they sat there for like 5min then drove by me going really slow. Was really weird. I don't know if they were trying to get tips or something because all they had was a 4x8 trailer with two push mowers and i had my 16ft trailer with two walk behinds and my z mower and all stihl stuff. It was just a little weird to me.
  8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

LSU_LAWNBOY LawnSite Member

i usually just wave at them, or avoid them
    their jealousy actually makes me work better and quicker.
    they were staring b/c u obviosly were doing better than they were,haha
  10. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

I try to be as friendly as possible, but it seems alot have a chip on their shoulder or something, I even network w/ 3 to 4 lco's in our area