This was the worst cutting day ever

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, May 17, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

The lawns never dried up today, the growth was 6"+ on most lawns and I had to bag every single lawn except for one.

To make matters worse rain came in around 2pm so that didn't help at all. I was to the point where I am thinking about which accounts to give away because of how much of a pain they are.

I actually got so mad at one account that I didn't do the trimming. I have tried and tried to get this guy to a weekly mowing, but he wants it down every 10 days instead. So today I went over there and it was the amazon. The lawn should have only taken me about 45 mins to do, but it turned into 1 1/2 hrs because of how thick it was and all the double cutting. I was so mad that I said, forget this, I am not doing the trimming, if he calls me then I can tell him what I really think about the 10 day mowing schedule.

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Dude, I am right there with you. Half hour lawn took 90 minutes today. And that's pretty much the average so far this past week. I've never seen anything like it. Freakin' rediculous.

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND MY POST IN THE MICHIGAN LCO'S???? I CANT STAND THIS DAM* RAIN!! I was double cutting EVERYTHING! I can not go for ONE WEEK of straight rain!

Trevor

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You know what really sucks. I have 37 accounts, SOLO, and have the these all scheduled on thursdays and fridays! with the double cutting it figures to about 50 jobs in two days!

Trevor

5. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Here where I am in NC we had the same problem last season. This year we have the exact opposite problem. Havent had any real rain in over three weeks and are 8 inches below normal for the year. That is really bad for this early in the season. My weekly yards are now on 10 days and by next week will probably go to 2 week schedule.

6. TLC4Carolina

TLC4Carolina LawnSite Member

I too am in NC. and am, sick of mowing dust, I can't stand it. Luckly a good number of our lawns are irrigated, any thing not is going to every 2 weeks if there is no rain. This season is starting out a lot like 2002 where I think it only rained like 2in. in 3 months.

7. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

Yeah, TLC. I've spent the last two days watering my vegetable garden. Where are you in NC Creative?

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Same way up here fellas, hasnt rained in a month and doesnt look like any coming for a while. Very dry and work is very slow.

9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Todat I was still mowing yards from thursday and I got caught in a torrential downpour 4 different times. I can't hardly get anything done!!

10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

This season seems quite different than last season here in Texas. Last year we were well below the rainfall average and we never did get any good rain. This year we are right on target for average rainfall so far and as luck would have it in the DFW area, I haven't had to stop cutting or cut in the rain yet this season because the rain has held off until Saturday and Sunday every week.