This worker sucked bad!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MileHigh, Jun 4, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

So I am to the point now to where I need a full time helper- 30-40 hours a week. So I hired this guy that lived in the same city as me. I figured it would be easy for him to show up in the morning, and or me to pick him up.

So he shows up in the morning early...I was like ok..that's good. Anyways his attitude is descent and he seems like he might work out..I'm mean his was easy to get along with. On the way to the first lawn, I told him that we should probably take a few minutes in this empty parking lot so you can learn how to use my 36". He said he would be fine and that he had used mowers just like that...well I should have went with my gut and showed him in a parking lot....I like to have my helper mow/trim a lot of backyards that I do, and I'll just handle the front...and he'll blow.

So we show up to the first lawn...I show him the ECS controls and how they work...back it off the trailer, and kinda show him whats going on on the way to the backyard. I get to the back...sprinkler's on....o man. I turn off the water and kinda show him some more about the mower. I do the perimeter for him, and set him up perfectly straight for the lines to make. I tell him just take it slow and go straight.

I tell him what to do with the controls and the first thing he does in less than 10 seconds is run the damn wood fence right over...I stood there in disbelief....o man...I felt like the biggest doosh ever, not to mention I wanted to kill this man.

The home owner was not there, so I called her and explained...she took it well and haven't lost the account.... yet. I'm so busy the next few days that I'll have to fix the fence on my day off, that I usually spend with the family. The guy asked if I still wanted him to work for me, I said finish mowing the lawn...took him a while...never went straight, shot wet clippings all over the house and deck, and just couldn't pick it up one bit. I hope I don't lose the account when the home owner gets there.

As the day went on...he mainly trimmed only and used the 21' honda. He was a horrible trimmer..I felt like I was screwing my business up using this ******.

Anyways, he wants to redeem himself at the last lawn. I said go for it...what does he do...runs my metal bagger on my 48" right into the side of my truck, I told him that I can't use him any longer. He felt bad, kept saying on the way home how he feels so stupid...I didn't say one thing, but that I would pay him on Friday...wonder if I should now.

All the good workers that I have worked with...either don't have transportation, or don't live anywhere near me....This sux, looking for a new worker tonight...hopefully tomorrow won't be as bad...might just take it solo.

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, sorry to hear that. Sounds like he's in the wrong industry. Good luck.

3. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

If he is serious about learning. I would mold him into what you want him.

When I was starting out, I was trained by a anal, tight wad, SOB. BUT he was very, very good. The only thing I was allowed to do was weedeat, edge and blow for the first 6 months. THEN I was allowed to use the 21". It was close to a year before I even stepped foot on the Walker or any ZTR.

I can say I was definately, extremely proficiant at every single thing.

Also, for the first 6 months, he made me walk around the properties as he sprayed and fertilized any of the jobs and taught me when, how, why, what time, etc to do these things.

I worked for him roughly 2.5-3 years and when I left he wrote me a letter of recommendation that I could not freaking believe. Listed every single license that he obtained and that I worked under.

I was pretty stoked about that.

4. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

And I thought I've had some bad experience with workers...

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Oh man, this took me down memory lane when I had employees. You're just like.. how in the hail did you do that? Why in the hail did you do that?. What were you thinking? Were you thinking? Do you ever think? How did you make it this far without being run over by traffic?:hammerhead::laugh:

6. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I think your guy was full of b.s. about running big equipment. Did he have references from other landscaping comp.? If he didn't, then he was over his head. I mean, who has been able to run equipment efficiently on their first lawn?

7. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you don't lose the account over it good luck.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

First day on the job, not so good.....
    Don't be too hard on him - everyone makes mistakes.
    Teach, train, and mentor is better than hiring, screaming, condemning, and firing.
    You can make a difference in people's lives this way.

Either that or you need to prescreen your applicants better as to their experience coming in.

9. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome to world of mowing, the hardest things is to find good employees. When you do, they want more money than you. Love it, first thing I ask, do you have a license, dui, been arrested?? Drug problems, pregnent girlfriends, stabbed while at the mall, I could tell you stories that would make your head spin. My answer to you, CUT BY YOURSELF. Less liability and more money in your pocket.

10. cgll1135

cgll1135 LawnSite Member

He should help with the repairs of the fence and pay for the damage to the truck. We had an employee not properly tie down a $125.00 wheel barrow and it took flight going 60 mph. He paid for a new one with no complaints.