This years heat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnworker, Aug 24, 2007.

1. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

The southern Virginia heat has been really hot this year. Also we are in a severe drought. I am about ready to give this thing up. I might go on a few more years, but that will be it.

Does anyone else feel like the heat feels hotter then the thermometers are reading. It might be that I am getting older and the heat is affecting me a lot more-physically and mentally.

2. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

hot as hell here too, oppressive heat. bad for me and my lawns. This heat will break soon and then we can all say "I remember the summer of '07" hot as hell. When we get down into the eighties I will probably be shivering. If these leaves keep falling like they are the fall may be more profitable than this hot dry summer.

3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

IT was so hot here today
    Saw 2 trees fighting over a dog.

4. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

It got hot quick today...I had to go out and help my guy cut just to get the route done....cause he'd have cut out early w/ the same line "just load them up tomorrow and I'll finish them". Of course that has never happened...and it's supposed to be hot tomorrow too.

5. Daddy Joes Lawn Service

Daddy Joes Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I think there won't be any grass to cut in 5 years the way the heat is going. Any rain we get goes north or south never in the middle. Get the paint can's out and start painting the yards green will come back and do touch up's

6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that right there is funny. I don't care who you are.

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I think we had 21 days in a row at 94 degrees or more, and heat index over 100. Several days over 110. I don't ever recall such a long run of days this hot down here. 1991 was a hot, humid year, but I don't think it could compete with this August. The thing to remember is that it will break eventually, it just makes you tougher :D

On a side note, I wouldn't trade places with any of you in the rest of the southeast. At least the air moves a little bit here.

8. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I don't mind the heat. I moved here for the hot humid weather! When I get home after work I run 3 miles and hit the weights. If it were in the 50's and 60's the motivation just isnt there. I would like some rain mixed in with it though! Most of my properties are irrigated so I haven't suffered much this year in the way of skipping accounts. Just a tad of rain here and there will keep bermuda kicking!

9. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Best laugh I've had all day!:waving:

10. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, I am the opposite. When it is 50-60, I would be lovin it. I can move fast then.