Thistle Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by zinkjo, Oct 9, 2005.

1. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

I have a potential new customer that has a thistle problem. The thistle has started in a flower bed (includes shrubs, flowers and some ornamental trees) and is creeping into the front yard. What can I use to control it? I could use Trimec on the lawn, but not in the flower bed. Any suggestions?

thanks.

2. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

If this is the DREADED Canada thistle then listen closely: Banvel 1 qt/acre applications in June AND September will give you 81-86% control, Stinger 1.3 pts/acre, apps June & Sept. will give you 90-92% control and Tordon 2 pts/acre June & Sept will give you 91-99% control.
    · Canada thistle is a creeping perennial that reproduces from vegetative buds in its root system and from seed.
    · It is difficult to control because its extensive root system allows it to recover from control attempts.
    · Combining control methods is the best form of Canada thistle management.
    · Persistence is imperative so the weed is continually stressed, forcing it to exhaust root nutrient stores and eventually die.
    Canada thistle (Cirsium arvense) is an aggressive, creeping perennial weed that infests Crops, pastures, rangeland, roadsides and noncrop areas. Generally, infestations start on disturbed ground, including ditch banks, overgrazed pastures, tilled fields or abandoned sites. Canada thistle reduces forage consumption in pastures and rangeland because cattle typically will not graze near infestations.
    One plant can colonize an area 3 to 6 feet in diameter in one or two years. Canada thistle grows in a variety of soils and can tolerate up to 2 percent salt content. It is most competitive in deep, well-aerated, productive, cool soils. It usually occurs in 17- to 35-inch annual precipitation zones or where soil moisture is adequate. It is less common in light, dry soils.
    If you know what a wick applicator is get one. If not I suggest that you go to an office supply store and pick up an envelope sealer. Its a device that has a reservore handle and a sponge tip for wetting the gummy bits on envelopes so you don't have to lick them. With this device you can make concise applications to individual plants without hurting the surrounding vegetation. It's a bit labour intensive but works well. Good Luck!!