Thistle Problem.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Well....This spring I bid a new housing development that is going up in our area. The land was rough, and there was just mostly weeds for turf, but I decided I would through a high figure out there and see what happens. Well I wasn't the low bidder, but I did get the job. So far so goo, but there is one problem. Like I said the "turf" is mostly weeds, with alot of thistles. They get growing rather tall when I come to cut it every 2 weeks.....all the other grass/weeds stay short and dont need it. My Exmark doesn't always cut them off, sometimes just pushing them over. This makes for an unfinished look tall thistle sticking up. I know that this place is in the early stages of development, and "who cares what the weeds look like". But I want my work to look the best. They are planning on spraying the entire thing at the end of the year and planting "real" grass, but until then, its cutting thistle. So do any of you have any tips on how to get the thistles to cut. The development has 16 houses on it. Thanks

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I used to mow a empty lot every 2 weeks and the weeds would get tall. Double blades will make this job much easier as far as cutting all the weeds down. Have you tried doubles yet?

3. powerreel

powerreel Banned

4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I am a double blade dude....some still sneek by. I guess I might try cutting it shorter, see if I can get the blades closer to where the main part of the plant enters the ground.

5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Thistles......:mad:

I went to bid on a lawn today that had not been cut in WEEKS (probably 2 months)and not trimmed this season at all....their regular s****b just disappeared and these people just waited and waited...and we have received quite a bit of rain in the last couple of weeks.

Anyway there was a thistle (among many) in the backyard that was taller than me..and I'm 6'1" tall...I have NEVER seen one anywhere near that tall in a residential lawn! Kinda intimidating having that big ol' "purple eye" looking down on you! I just stared up at it and the man who lives there said..."Oh yeah, I've been meaning to grab an axe and chop that thing down".:rolleyes:

With the weeds at 2 1/2 feet tall and 8 "junk" cars, various home appliances, and a debris pile or two in the yard I decided to pass on giving them a bid. I have no Bush-Hog and I could just picture driving my new Lazer Z over a few V-8 cylinder heads and A/C compressors...:eek:

And then they copped an attitude when I said I would pass on their 'lawn'. "Well, the other guy did it in 30 minutes and our friend (a client of mine) said that you would do it for us...blah, blah, blah..." I said: "Wow! 30 minutes?... he must be really good...maybe you should call him some more".

I must remember to thank my regular client who referred me to them (who BTW has a very nice lawn). :D

Peace...except to those pesky 7 foot tall thistles! hahahah!!!

6. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Just shoot that thistle with some A/O as you go by on your Ex, it won't be there next time you cut. course nothin may grow there for a decade or two.