Thistle

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turf Troll, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

I need suggestions on pesticides for getting rid of thistle in Juniper beds and in beds of Sedum ,

thanks

2. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

Only things that I've had success with against thistle in grass is some form of 2-4-D or Manor(metsulfuron).

You may want to try a little test area on the juniper with either one of those, but my bet is that both of those chemicals will layeth the smacketh down on your desirable plants. :)

Honestly, I would just pull em up if it were me. PITA I know, but it would be a bigger PITA to have to replace your customer's ornamentals.

Maybe someone else here has a better suggestion though :)

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I use Lontrel. It is a product used for bed control and you can go over the top of most ornamental plants (be sure and ask you rep if not sure). Great product and takes out broadleaf weeds in flower beds.

4. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

Hey rcreeh,

Have you ever sprayed it on Asiactic Jasmine? I have a hell of a time with some chamberbitter(nirouri) in about a 1/2 acre bed of jasmine.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I am not sure that I know what that is. I would ask your Lesco rep and see what they say. The main thing I know you can't spray is the Daisy family and a couple of other families. I am almost 100% sure you can go over the junipers though.

6. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

man that **** is not cheap...

7. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

good stuff, only its not labeled for residential anymore!

beware

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Gregory,

The use rate is only 1/4 oz/1000, so actually the cost per 1000 is very cheap especially since this is one of my "special services" which I charge a premium for.

Ampeg,

If you read the label closely it states the following:

"Do not make broadcast applications to ornamental plantings in commercial and residential landscape settings; however spot and directed applications are permissable".

"Due to the wide variety of plants found in commercial and residential landscape settings and to avoid injury to non-target species, use only spot and directed sprays on labeled ornamental species n landscape settings".

Am I reading something wrong here?

9. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

Thanks I appreciate the input,

I don't run into this much and the Junipers and Sedum are on two different property's I picked up this year, they won't miss applying pre-emergent again, so if I buy the Lontrel I think it might sit on my shelf,

If you pull them they just sprout from the root remains,

I will paint them with Glyphospate with a small brush

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If you are not going to provide this as a service it may be best to gly them and not invest in Lontrel.

Be careful with the brush not to drop it on their prize roses. haha!